Skip to content
swollen neck and allergies
featherGS posted:
36 year old male with swollen neck (in front from ear to ear. Swelling goes up and down a little, but has been present since thanksgiving day. Can't figure out if its food allergy for sure. Have been eliminating different foods for two weeks at a time keeping a very limited diet. Went to urgent care twice and regular GP doctor. Had all kinds of blood tests, all normal (even thyroid checked) , had x-rays,all normal and even a cat scan which show nothing. One thought was skin infection, but wasn't. One doctor thought it could be swollen saliva glands and it would go away. Dentist said its not. Have been taking benadryl and also a 5 day course of steroids. GP got referral to an allergy doctor but can't get in til Jan 28th (they are booked solid. Does this sound like an allergy? Could it be from food and/or something in the air? I am allergic to trees and dust. When little had hay fever allergy, tubes in ears when 4 and then when teenager had allergy shots. This helped stop hay fever allergies and sinus and haven't had any severe allergy symptoms for years. Just take an allegra occasionally. When a teenager became allergic to penicillin and sulfa antibiotics when whole family kept getting Strep throat. My breathing hasn't been affected at all but sometimes when I lay down and it gets more swollen it feels like a tight turtleneck around my neck. Anyone have any ideas?

featherGS responded:
anyone have any ideas from my Jan O4 post

36 year old male with swollen neck (in front from ear to ear. Swelling goes up and down a little, but has been present since thanksgiving day. Can't figure out if its food allergy for sure. Have been eliminating different foods for two weeks at a time keeping a very limited diet. Went to urgent care twice and regular GP doctor. Had all kinds of blood tests, all normal (even thyroid checked) , had x-rays,all normal and even a cat scan which show nothing. One thought was skin infection, but wasn't. One doctor thought it could be swollen saliva glands and it would go away. Dentist said its not. Have been taking benadryl and also a 5 day course of steroids. GP got referral to an allergy doctor but can't get in til Jan 28th (they are booked solid. Does this sound like an allergy? Could it be from food and/or something in the air? I am allergic to trees and dust. When little had hay fever allergy, tubes in ears when 4 and then when teenager had allergy shots. This helped stop hay fever allergies and sinus and haven't had any severe allergy symptoms for years. Just take an allegra occasionally. When a teenager became allergic to penicillin and sulfa antibiotics when whole family kept getting Strep throat. My breathing hasn't been affected at all but sometimes when I lay down and it gets more swollen it feels like a tight turtleneck around my neck. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

jb6736 replied to featherGS's response:
Have you gotten any feed back since your last post? I have similar symptoms but not as severe. Swollen neck, allergic to dust and also allergic to penicillin. Tested for thyroid, but turned out ok. I'm sure it is a food allergy, just cant figure out which one.

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center