Skip to content
Allergic to vitamin C/ citric acid?
JulieWit posted:
My husband has a severe allergy to vitamin C, and it seems to be getting worse. He cannot eat any citrus fruit or anything with high doses of vitamin C, like peppers, tomatoes, etc. Too much C creates stomach cramps, rashes and real discomfort. Pineapples give him a "chemical" burn in his mouth and creates blisters and sores. I can only imagine what is going on in his stomach. There used to be a time when he could have say spaghetti once a week without any ill effects...but now even that is not possible. Is it possible for him to take anything? Don't we need vitamin C in our diets? Now he is telling me that he is lactose intolerant, that all dairy products are having the same reactions of cramping, discomfort, etc... I have asked him to keep a food diary and will make an appointment with an allergist for more testing. Any other suggestions, I don't know what to buy or cook anymore, since almost everything has vitamin C!

ncalgal responded:
Julie, I am on WebMD today, to see if it is possible to have an allergic reaction to citrus. Reading your post, it appears one can. For the first time in my 79 years, I have a rash, and really nothing new in my life to account for it, if it is an allergic reaction. But our crop of oranges is huge, and I am eating a lot of them. It occured to me there might be a connection. I've always eaten oranges, of course, but possibly over-doing now. Doctor has me using ZEASORB-AF powder (AF for anti-fungal) which relieves itch and keeps certain areas drier.

The doctor is also "tinkering" with my blood pressure drugs, as they can cause a rash. He has removed one from my regimen, and has tried two others. I may see a slight improvement in the inner thigh area.

Your post raises important questions. How does one get Vitamin C if taking it causes such turmoil? I hope your visit with an allergist is productive. Keep us posted.

Carol

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center