Skip to content
Is there such a thing as an allergy to light beer?
avatar
ally_cat posted:
I have started to notice that whenever I have light beer I wind up getting sick, specifically Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light. I do not have a problem when I drink regular Bud, Corona, Yeungling, Cherry Wheat, or other lagers or ales. I have been trying to do some research online about beer allergies and my personal reaction seems to be different then those posted. When I drink the light beers I will be okay for a bit but then they seem to sit in my throat. It's not painful but I wind up drinking at a much slower rate, not a bad thing. But at the end of the night almost everytime I wind up getting sick after maybe three drinks at the most. This past Wednesday I went to a local wing night and they were serving Miller Light which I tried for the first time. Half way into the first drink I hiccuped or burped just a little and acid came up my throat and I almost got sick right in public.

When I was younger I used to drink Bud Light regularly and I would always get sick. At the time I thought it was over drinking but looking back I really didn't drink more then 3 or 4 beers.

I don't really drink spirits much so I can't really tell if I have a problem with them as well, but I do not have an issue with wine. Any thoughts?

I was looking at all sorts of allergies (Gluten, Hops, Histamines, etc) and none of them seemed to really fit into the reactions I have. They seem so much more severe.
Reply
 
avatar
deluxehd responded:
First I'd like to say, not everyone has text book reactions. The severity can vary and the symptoms can vary per person. It may be considered a food intolerance and not an allergy. I know there are sulfites in wine, but don't know about light beer. They are many ingredients that are considered sulfites.

http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites.htm

Check out the above website. Hope this may help you. Take care.
Debbie
 
avatar
ally_cat replied to deluxehd's response:
Thanks for the reponse but I do not think it's sulfites since I have no problem with wine. Wine has 10x the amount of sulfites as beer. One day I will discuss this with my doctor.
 
avatar
An_256526 responded:
I've noticed the same thing with light beer. I always have an allergic reaction to Miller Lite in particular - sneezing, stuffy nose, watery eyes - and yet I can drink Miller Genuine Draft with no problem at all. I suspect there is something used in the process of making light beer that causes the allergic reaction.


Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center