Skip to content
Allergies to Chlorophyll???
SimPilot posted:
Hello!

One of my co-workers claims that he has an "allergy to chlorophyll..." He says that if he comes in contact with any green plant, he has a reaction. In fact, he has said that if he walks on grass barefoot he develops a rash on his feet. Moreover, if he ingests "anything green that contains chlorophyll" (his phrase) that it causes him temporary nausea or a form of irratable bowel syndrom and in extreme cases he claims that he vomits. "His condition" has caused him to call out of work on Fridays and Mondays and I'm verrrrrryyy concerned for him.

However, I have a hard time believing that this condition is a legitimate allergy or illness. I've never heard of anything like this... I'm no scientist, but from what I remember in college, any plant that converts light into energy contains chorophyll... logically, my co-worker should be allergic to virtually all plants and shouldn't be able to eat any fruits or vegetables (which he does regularly as long as they aren't a shade of green.

I'm curious to see if any professionals have come across cases like this, similar to this or believe there could be truth to his claims.

Thanks!

Take the Poll

Do you believe in Allergies to Chlorophyll?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Yes if I need a mental health day
  • Yes if I am a picky eater
vote
View Poll Results

kc1730 responded:
SimPilot :

Your co-worker is definately not making this up. I suffer from the exact same issue. It's called OAS (oral allergy syndrome). Because of severe environmental allergies to grass/plants/trees, whatever comes from them raw I can't eat (ie: fruits, vegetables, spices, etc.). I can tolerate eating 'some' vegetables only if they're cooked, and not a large amount. Reactions include: hives, itchy throat etc within minutes of eating something that may bother you, and even if you do ingest these certains foods your stomach can reject them causing severe pain, nausea or similar symptoms like irratable bowel syndrom. It's definately not made-up, and it's certainly not easy trying to eat 'healthy', when everything 'good for you' causes such problems. I was able to get help from a nutritionist, and I hope your co-worker can get some help too.

yogabunny replied to kc1730's response:
Hi,

I have just read this thread having been a sufferer of allergies my whole life.
Last year my allergies took a turn for the worse and I now carry an Epipen , being allergic to cats and peanuts in particular.
I have been on an elimination diet for almost 12 months, writing a food diary in the process as I am now reacting to most of the foods I eat , these being very healthy.
I was interested to see that someone else has problems with green fruit and veg - these cause many symptoms for me , primarily anaphalaxis .
I note that ' white ' veg like cauliflower and cucumber seem ok but spinach , green beans etc cause tingling , burning sensation and then swelling of arms , face etc...
I would be interested to hear anyone else's story as this discovery is relatively recent , however the hives like eczema has been a big problem for 5 years and doctors have been dismissive to the point of rude when I have suggested such an allergy.
Many thanks.

armcmahon replied to yogabunny's response:
I am 29 years old and I have lived my whole life getting hives from fresh cut green plants. From grass to trees to the annual harvest season in my home state of Kansas I have issues with it. If any green plant that is fresh cut touches me I get hives on the contact location and asthma like symptoms. I tested the hottest for tomatoes but the green parts of any plants were the worst. I tested at the Portland Oregon location and since being in Kansas I have the same symptoms. I think it might be the same thing. What is your ideas?

Andy

armcmahon replied to armcmahon's response:
the only thing I have found that helps is rubbing the affected location with rubbing alcohol or a similar solvent to remove the oils. This doesn't help with the onset of problems unfornately.

arrionna6869 responded:
its real ..I have similar problems....I cant walk barefoot in grass, mow, I break out in red itchy splotches and blisters no bigger than ant bites in sever times, go out on high grass pollen days makes it hard to take deep breaths ,or eat green veggies or anaphylaxis ensues. was a trial and error thing for my parents when i was little but over the years they figured out what not to shove in my face or let me do and I loved to roll in my grannies yard after my dad mowed. .she had the softest grass but the shots i had to get afterward weren't worth it anymore. but yea...only on weekends IS kinda suspect

junkdog8 replied to arrionna6869's response:
I too suffer from an allergy to green vegetables, I have since I was a child if I eat them it induces nausea and vomiting for hours afterwords, and while his timing is suspicious i would say that you should give him the benefit of the doubt and maybe ask what he could be doing that would trigger it.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center