Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergy to Sea Salt?
An_191040 posted:
Hi I am 16 years old and seem to have a problem with sea salt. Every time I eat something with sea salt my lips get really red, burn, and tingle. However, going to the beach is a much worse experience. After getting out of the water, my legs break out itch and burn for about an hour even if i wash them off in fresh water. I have been to beaches on the Atlantic and Gulf and the same thing happens. Could I be allergic to sea salt? Please help! Thanks!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_46695,

I am sorry to hear about your reaction to sea salt and the ocean. I have read other posts on this allergic response, yet I wish that I had some sort of treatment idea to give you when visiting the beach. Maybe you should see an allergist for more information. Best of luck to you and keep us posted if you find any forms of relief!
Best Wishes! Amelia

Helpful Tips

regain you taste and smell
I lost my sense of taste and smell 4 years ago and have had multiple operations as well as daily flushed my nose with Pulmacort . My doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center