Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Propylene glycol allergy
An_191049 posted:
Does anyone else out there suffer from this allergy? I'm going crazy as it's very difficult to avoid this chemical. Any comments, suggestions?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD responded:
Propylene glycol causes allergic reactions in some patients. This allergy is typically diagnosed by patch testing. The physician who performed the test can provide resources to help with avoidance measures. There is a CARD database that dermatologists use that can generate lists of products that are safe to use for patients with this type of allergy.

gym_mom responded:
I myself was just diagnosed with this today. So I am on a mission to survive despite the overwhelming number of things out there with this chemical in it. If I run across items, I will be sure to let you know. Hang in there.

elrob80 responded:
Yes. Manifests as a skin reaction to deodorant. I discovered when I was a kid that I could only tolerate the white messy kind (the aluminum zirconium-containing product). The proprylene glycol-containing one makes my skin itch and then I actually broke out into an eczematoid rash.

odielett replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
I'm finding out that there are SO many names that it is listed under. This makes it so much harder to avoid. Is there a master list somewhere? Also, why are there so many different names? Any Help would be appreciated!

gym_mom replied to odielett's response:
Yes... it is very difficult to find products that do not have this ingredient in it... but I am happy to report I have been rather successful.

Here is a link my dematologist provided:
www.allergeaze.com/PDFs/NA/NA55.PDF

This will give you a listing of the dba names.

I have had to read many labels and just try to see if I can tolerate. I am also allergic to fragrence mixes, which makes it even more difficult. If a product does not have PG... then it has fragrence.

Hair care products... Avada is great, but has the fragrence in it.
There is a couple of deodrant/antipersperants both spray and stick I have found at Wal-Mart that have neither in it.
Laundry detergent - Ultra Purex Hypoallergenic is good, all others I have inquired have PG in it.

I have also been successfull in locating H&B products online which I can use. It just takes reasearch and time to locate.

Hope this helps out.

dsavo responded:
You're not alone. Just completed a Patch Text, and the result were propylene glycol. If you Google search NA55: Propylene glycol AllergEAZE you will find what products contain this organic compound Just avoid them. Antiperspirants and Deodorants, Cosmetics, Creams and Foods, Hair Care to Oral Care products.For Example: Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste - Clean Mint to Listerine Pocketpacks Breath Strips- Cool Mint. Soaps and Shave Creams and Gels.

M8KNMECRAZY responded:
OMG I was just diagnosed with this allergy this is CRaZy! who would have known this chemical is used in almost EVERYTHING if they weren't ALLERGIC?

M8KNMECRAZY replied to gym_mom's response:
WOW this is GOOD stuff thanks! i found so many product I use UNBELIEVABLE

oliviamcfear replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
When I was a year old my pediatrician figured out I had this allergy. Do you know how my doctor pinpointed that I was allergic to a random chemical found in shampoo and lotions? I cannot figure it out, even though I'm studying anatomy in college currently and understand everything about allergens and allergies, immunity, etc.

CL899 replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
Can you tell me if polyethylene glycol is the same thing as propylene glycol? I am trying to see is in my oral contraceptive pills

karmagirl1966 replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
My husband was just diagnosed with this. I got a HUGE list of all the products that contain Propylene glycol thats not a problem. The problem is that after seeing your response above I called his Allergy doctor and he did not have this "Card Database" and I called a local Dermatologist and they dont either. Is there any other way to find a list of products that DO MOT contain this? I googled it and came up with Nothing:-(
Thanks

Good26 responded:
YES! I almost died from it! My throat swelled shut, I would get big huge itchy burning welts all over. if anything pressed on my skin it would swell and burn. If I ate something with it in it, my insides would swell. It would feel like I was going to die! I almost went crazy trying to figure out what was wrong with me. You will have to read lots of labels and memorize which items to stay away from! I use Tom's toothpaste, burts bee's soaps and shampoo's, or Jasons, or Just say yes to carrots. Medicines have it, cremes and lotions, many things that soak into your skin and needs to stay wet contains it. Gravy, frostings, cakemixes, flavored coffees. I had to cook all natural for months to get my body to stop reacting to it! If you need to talk to someone...my email is lauragood26@aol.com...You are not alone!

zangopeach replied to Good26's response:
Hi, can anyone tell me if they love in the UK and what doctor they went to for testing? Am desperate to find a doctor who can test me for this allergy as it is driving me crazy. Thank you

Basomatic76 replied to CL899's response:
Polyethylene glycol is a different allergen. If you haven't been tested for it to rule it out, you could be allergic to it too, but it is not the same as Propylene Glycol.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center