Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
hydrocortisone vs Benedryl anti-itch cream
Geradine4733 posted:
This is mosquito and insect time of the ear to add to allergies. What OTC itch cream is best? Is it maximum strength hydrocortisone 1% cream or diphenhydramine hydrochloride 2% cream (extra strength Benadry).

My husband thinks the 1% hydrocortisone is more effective but I think the 2% Benedryl works better.

We go to the doctor now and then. He gives us a prescription med that works best but it is expensive to go to the doctor. It is not bad enough right now so usually an OTC anti-itch works OK.

Aqua14 responded:
I can only tell you what I and my son use -- Benadryl gel (I'm not sure of the concentration). The only thing to watch in using a topical Benadryl product is to make sure you're not also using Benadryl pills at the same time (the label has a warning on this).

On the other hand, sometimes my son uses Corizone (brand name hydrocortisone).

I guess you each have to use what works better for you individually.

Hope these thoughts are somewhat helpful to you. Take care. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center