Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Any treatment for a chlorophyll allergy?
callmelittled posted:
My boyfriend has quite a few food allergies, most of the reactions are very mild, but he's also allergic to chlorophyll so this greatly reduces the foods he can eat and I know he's probably deficient in one or more vitamins as a result. Is there any treatment, ie replacement enzyme, etc, for a chlorophyll allergy?

Aqua14 responded:
I would be very interested to know how your boyfriend was diagnosed with an allergy to chlorophyll (i.e., what kind of doctor, what kind of test, how long ago, etc?). Can you tell us more about this?

Just curious. Thanks. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

callmelittled replied to Aqua14's response:
I'm not sure how the diagnosis came about, as he's had his allergies since he was a child, but it was probably trial and error. He can eat some fruits and veggies, it just has to be in moderation. They usually cause some stomach upset, but thousand island dressing makes his tongue itch and orange juice gives his a small rash on his chest, so its quite varied...

Aqua14 replied to callmelittled's response:
He might want to go to a board-certified allergist for evaluation. Probably the diagnosis of allergy, and allergy testing, has changed since he was little, and he might find out some new information that would help his diet.

He can find a board certified allergist by using this search tool: http://www.aaaai.org/physref/

Hope this helps. Take care. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD replied to Aqua14's response:
Adverse reactions to food can occur due to multiple mechanisms. Intolerance denotes adverse symptoms following eating certain foods. An allergy is a specific type of immune reaction to food leading to symptoms such as hives, shortness of breath, wheeze or anaphylaxis. I am not aware of immunologic reactions to chlorophyll. I would write down all foods that cause symptoms, how quickly the symptoms occur after eating, whether they occur with each exposure and bring to your appointment if you decide to see an allergist. Some foods also cross react with pollens leading to mouth itching. The allergist can help investigate his reactions to the foods.

callmelittled replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
He CAN eat fruits and/or veggies,but it can only be a small amount. I've never been with him when he's eaten too much, but he told me his reactions vary from an itchy tongue to a rash on his chest when he does. Occasionally, it results in stomach upset. He's dealt with this his whole life so he knows what he can and can't eat. I was just curious if there was something he could take to counteract the effects....

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD replied to callmelittled's response:
Thanks for the reply. If you all are interested, an allergist could help you investigate this further after taking a thorough history. Typical food allergy would cause symptoms with each exposure. Interestingly, some patients who are allergic to various pollens such as birch can develop itchy mouth or throat after eating fruits such as apple, peach, plum, pear, cherry, carrot, celery and soy; patients allergic to ragweed can have similiar reactions to melons and banana. These type of reactions are manifestations of oral allergy sydrome. If he sees an allergist, let us know what is found.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center