Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Why does my nose run whenever I wake up?
StarlitMelody posted:
My nose runs every time I wake up in the morning, and every time I wake up from a nap. Why does this happen, and is there a way to stop this from happening every time? It's getting rather annoying.

Aqua14 responded:
Do you have allergies, or suspect that you have allergies? If you do, then it's common for allergy symptoms like runny nose to occur in the morning upon waking. Taking a long-lasting antihistamine like Zyrtec before bed might help, as would putting an allergy cover on your pillow.

If you don't think allergies are an issue, then it could simply be caused by your autonomic nervous system which kicks in when you awake. Or it could be that your pillow is old and filled with mold; mold spores can cause respiratory symptoms even in those who are not allergic. Replacing your pillow or putting on an allergy cover would help.

And how old are you? Runny nose is common in seniors because of changes in the nose that occur with aging.

You might talk to your physician about prescribing a very inexpensive, generic nasal spray -- the brand name is Atrovent, the generic is name ipratropium bromide. Atrovent nasal spray's only purpose is to stop runny noses, and it works extremely well without the side effects of a oral decongestant or decongestant nasal spray. (In fact, you can even use it to try and prevent runny nose while skiing in cold weather.)

Hopefully these thoughts help you out. Of course, when you visit your physician, he/she may have other ideas based upon his/her actually examining you. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

168463 responded:
Did you used to do drugs, i.e cocaine in the past?

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center