Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
need to talk about my dad
alrod0418 posted:
im new to this .this is my problem im dealing with.my dad has alzheimers and for at least 2yrs his dementia has really been hard on my mom her because he is constantly blamin her for all kinds of things .they just moved back from puerto rico because of him .he made them lose their housing there because of his constant paranoria thinkin my bmom is doin things to harm him.they have been here since janurary and he has thrown her out of the house at least 5times for no reason well the reasons make sense to him .she has no family but me .my brothers dont help much but me.she is stayin with me now after one of his tantrums .im scared he goin to hurt her one day.he doesnt seem to care how he treats her and its really hurting me .im a recovering addict[clean 7yrs> and dont need the extra stress .just need to vent does anyone have any ideas .the problems is worse because my parents english is no the greatest.need help

MagPrincess responded:
I am dealing with my grandmother in law going through alzheimers after years of dementia.

Has your dad been to the doctor recently.

I had to do an intervention for my mother at one point and go to her doctor and say I know you can't share information with me due to Hippa about him and maybe i don't want him to know i was here... but this is what you need to know.

it worked for my mother a bit. She has a pot addiction and was taking and seeking pain killers on top of it.

I kinda think that this might be an added bonus for your continued recovery. Think of it as a distraction.

Helene Bergman, LMSW responded:
It clearly sounds like your dad needs medication to help with his agitation and psychotic behavior. I recommend you connect him with a local hospital or geriatrician experienced with dementia. You will be able to secure appropriate drug treatment to manage his behavior.

It is also suggested you contact the liocal chapter of the Alzheimer Association for both education and support. As you said, you do not need the extra stress and you will learn how to cope with your dad's behaviors. Many groups offer bilingual services too.

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.