Skip to content
Formaldehyde & Alzheimer's
sjb49 posted:
I lost both parents and an aunt to what we were told was Alzheimer's. Interestingly, my parents and aunt had their respective homes insulated with a foam-type insulation in the early 70s. All developed the symptoms roughly 5 to 7 years afterward. A neighbor who also had her home insulated with the same material succumbed to Alzheimer's/dementia as well.

I later found out this type of insulation contained formaldehyde. Additionally, there's no history of dementia on either side of my family nor the neighbor's.

Coming from a science background, I'm aware of the toxicity of formaldehyde. Has any link been established between Alzheimers/dementia and long term exposure to formaldehyde?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear sjb49,

My condolences on the loss of your parents. That's a good question to ask a doctor or a scientist who researches Alzheimer's. Perhaps even the EPA.

This article on the Causes of Alzheimer's does not mention a link. It does however say "Although most people who have Alzheimer's disease do not have a family history of the condition, you are at increased risk for the condition if a member of your family has it."

So the fact that there is no family history is not unique.

Yours in health,

Byroney

sjb49 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Byroney. The fact that most who have Alzheimer's don't have a history leads me to believe there's a possible environmental link. I would be interested to know how prevalent the disease was in the past. I also believe it was, to a large degree, misdiagnosed in the past as "hardening of the arteries."

I'm near the University of Chicago and will try to find a researcher who may be able to shed some light on the topic.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to sjb49's response:
Dear sjb49,

I sure hope you are successful. Any research that can show a cause and lead to a cure would be an amazing discovery.

Best wishes,

Byroney

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.