Skip to content
My friend has alzheimers and he is shaking uncontrollably
jodi041 posted:
Hello,

I have a friend that is in his 70's and he has Alzheimer's. Recently he has been uncontrollably shaking like he is cold down to his bones. His wife took him to the doctor and they said he had a bladder infection. He then passed out in the bathroom of a food store. I believe his Alzheimer's has opened another doorway since his immune system is down due to the Alzheimer's I believe either he has had a stroke or he is starting to get Parkinson's disease. I really need some help because I do not think bladder infection is the reason why he is shaking. He has also become rather incoherant and just cannot tell us what he is feeling. Please help... Thank you...

cjh1203 responded:
I don't know if an infection could cause those symptoms -- I would think it would have to be a really bad infection -- one that would require hospitalization.

It could be Parkinson's, but it seems like it wouldn't have come on so quickly. One of the possible symptoms of Parkinson's, though, is low blood pressure which can cause people to faint.

Here is an article with some possible causes of tremor and shaking: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/tremor_symptoms.htm

Another possibility is dehydration. That could account for all of his symptoms. I think it can be very difficult to get Alzheimer's patients to drink enough fluids, and dehydration is a common and serious problem. If you take a little pinch of his skin on the back of his hand and it doesn't go back into place fairly quickly, that's a good sign that he's dehydrated. If he is dehydrated enough to cause these symptoms, he probably should be hospitalized and given IV fluids. Dehydration can also cause bladder problems, I believe.

Can you get him to another doctor for a second opinion? If he has so many serious symptoms, I would definitely not just take the first doctor's word that it's a bladder infection. It sounds like he needs to be seen by someone else pretty quickly.

jodi041 replied to cjh1203's response:
By the way I forgot to put in that his hands are purple like when your hands get really cold and turn purple. Plus he has a pace maker due to low heart rate. I believe I just need to tell his wife to take him in to the hospital and make sure it is nothing serious. Thank you for your thoughts.

cjh1203 replied to jodi041's response:
The purple hands could be from poor circulation. Does it happen only in cold weather or at any time. Do his feet get purple, too? If it only happens in cold weather and also affects his feet, that could be Raynaud's Syndrome .

It does sound like taking him to the hospital is a good idea. His symptoms seem too serious to wait much longer to be seen by a doctor.

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.