Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ruth
cjh1203 posted:
Hi, Ruth-

I know you had your doctor's appointment today and have been thinking about you all day. How did it go?

Carol

balmayne responded:
Hi, thank you for asking. I have an advanced stage of dementia that is turning into Alzheimer's. My neuro put me on Aricept. Just a small amount to see how it goes. In 4 weeks he is going to increase the dosage and then I see him again.

I am glad that I faced this challenge head on, with a positive attitude. This way, I can get the meds I need early on.

Ruth

cjh1203 replied to balmayne's response:
Hi, Ruth. I'm really sorry about your diagnosis. I know that it's not completely unexpected, but it's probably difficult to hear it anyway.

You have a wonderful attitude, though, and I know that will help you. And you're right that facing it head on was the best thing to do. Getting on Aricept at this stage is a really good thing.

I have always wondered what I would do if I found out I had Alzheimer's -- for instance, traveling or doing things I'd always put off, and what plans or preparations I might make for the future. You don't need to answer this if you don't want to, and I hope you don't mind my asking, but are you doing anything like that?

I'm glad that you're part of this community and look forward to reading more of your posts.

Carol

davedsel57 replied to balmayne's response:
Hello, Ruth.

I am also sorry to read of your diagnosis, but as Carol said you have an excellent attitude. You are obviously a strong and positive person with a faith that will see you through. Yes, please keep posting to keep us updated and to chat with us.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story. Blessings, Dave

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to balmayne's response:
Ruth, I am glad you got a diagnosis so you're not still wondering what you have. However, I am sorry to hear that it's advanced dementia and heading toward Alzheimer's.

I sure hope you see some positive results with the medication. I'm glad you and your doctor have worked out a plan.

Like Carol and Dave, I so admire your positive atitude.

Take care,

Byroney
Life isn't a matter of milestones but of moments. - Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy

balmayne replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Carol, Dave and Byroney, I will answer any question you ask me. It gets me to thinking. That is good for my memory.

I cannot drive and hubby does not go to many places. I will continue doing what I have been. I would like to see the Sierra National Park. We live so close to it and hubby has never taken me there. Maybe now he will take me there. I love those giant Sequoias.

We have lived here for 7 years. I will ask him again and maybe now he will take me. We also live in a small town not to far from Mt.Whitney. It is the tallest mountain in the US.

They filmed the movie, starring Humphrey Bogart. The movie was The High Sierra. We have the DVD.

Did you know that Glen Campbell has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He is going to take a tour of the world, singing his famous songs.

I am in good company with a famous star.

Ruth

cjh1203 replied to balmayne's response:
Ruth, I hope you get to do all the things you want to.

When my mother-in-law was diagnosed with terminal cancer, she gave her husband a list of all the places she wanted to go -- and they had already traveled quite a lot -- and he made sure that she went to all of them. They had a wonderful time on those trips, and I know it meant a lot to her as time went on that she had seen all those places. It probably meant even more to my father-in-law that he was able to do those things to make her happy.

Where you live must be beautiful. I hope your husband will take you wherever you want to go, near or far!

I have read a few articles about Glen Campbell's battle with Alzheimer's, and it's pretty inspiring that he's still able to tour and give concerts.

I can't remember if you have children. If you do, how are they taking the news of your diagnosis? And how is your husband handling it? I think that men sometimes have a harder time than women when faced with a spouse's serious illness.

From most of your posts, I would never, ever suspect you have Alzheimer's. I hope that your brain will continue to serve you well for a long time!

Carol

Ruth, I didn't know about Glen Campbell, but I have certainly heard his music! I'm glad he's still touring and doing what he enjoys.

Other famous people with Alzheimer's: Perry Como, Rita Hayworth, Ronald Regan, Charles Bronson, Charleton Heston, Norman Rockwell, James Doohan ("Scotty" in Star Trek), Burgess Meredith, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Peter Falk. You can read about These People and More by following this link.

I think it's a great idea to talk to your husband again about Sierra National Park. Mt. Whitney is amazing and definitely worth seeing.

Byroney

preachergal replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Ruth, I am so proud of you and your attitude but as it was said, I'd never have guessed it by the way you express yourself in your comments. You are a very special person and have been given excellent advice on how to handle your future plans. I do think also, that women handle situations better than men because we are stronger in will. Bless you, Ruth and my prayers are with you. Marilyn

balmayne replied to preachergal's response:
I am glad to hear from everyone. You are positive thinkers too. I did not know that Peter Falk, Columbo, and Scotty from Star Trek have Alzheimer's. I hope they are positive thinkers.

My husband thought that I had Alzheimer's before I told him. He did not want to upset me. I told him that these are things we need to discuss. He was in denial, but not for long. He had a medical education and became a CNA. He is well familiar with Alzheimer's.

I cannot go to the Sierra's right now. Yosemite is right next to it and there is a big fire going on there. Today, it was over 103 degrees. The steep mountains are making it difficult to put it out.

Some of the most beautiful Sequoia trees are right next to the fire. I have been to that part of the Sierra's before. They are right next to Yosemite National Park.

I have 4 children. One disowned me 8 years ago. I have no idea where he is. We were always getting his bills, so I knew he was all right. We have not gotten any bills in the past year.

My daughter wants to stay away from me, because I am a Jehovah's Witness. She is in the midst of the Hurricane now, in PA.

Everytime I email her, she always says, We are just fine." I have told her about my Alzheimer's and she will not talk about it. She always gives me that one line. I finally told her today that I was sick of her saying that when I know things must be going on in her family. My grandchildren will have nothing to do with me. It is because of my religion. I have never pushed it on them.

I have 2 sons who love me. One lives with us and helps out with the chores. My other son lives in a different city and we keep in contact.

Ruth

balmayne replied to balmayne's response:
My daughter lives in PA. I called her today and there was no damage. I am very thankful.

How is everyone else doing back East.

Ruth

preachergal replied to balmayne's response:
Well, it's like this, Ruth. I have talked to many women about a child who is raised in the same environment and rules as the other children or child and feels that they have been abused...neglected. Doesn't matter if its two children or 10...one usually feels ignored. I have a daughter also that hasn't spoken to me for 10 years yet have a son who is very supportive and says he was raised in the same house with the same rules and he doesn't know what his sister is talking about. I wanted to know where they were, who they were with and when they were coming home, if that's abuse then I am guilty. She turned out to be a good mother and works hard at her profession, dental assistant for 25 years and am proud of that, I couldn't have done too bad to have raised such a responsible person. If I did something wrong...it must have been right. She also has turned my grandchildren against me and haven't been invited to their weddings although they are only 50 miles away.
Your are doing so great and I admire your positive attitude also....hang in their Ruth, we are supporting you and praying for you. You definitely are not alone, we are here. Marilyn

cjh1203 replied to preachergal's response:
Ruth and Marilyn, it's really sad to hear that you both have children who don't want to be in your lives. As you said, Marilyn, it's really hard to know why children in the same family can end up so different, and feeling so differently toward their parents.

I'm sorry you both have to deal with that. It's a common bond you would rather not have, I know.

Carol

balmayne replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Carol, Marilyn and Byroney,

Marilyn, it is not that we did anything wrong, it is just that some children do not like the rules and the others do.

I raised all of my children with good moral values. My daughter, who thankfully is all right in PA is living a good moral life.

I have a son who lives in another city far away from us, who loves us very much. We cannot afford to visit him, because it is a 6 mile trip one way. We cannot afford to stay overnight. He understands that and only wants to communicate by phone and regular mail. He does not have a computer. He thinks of my well-being and not my own.

It is my one son who disowned us that really hurt. We had helped him out of many of problems (that were not is own fault.) When my husband was making a good living, we even bot him a house to live in. All we asked is that he make the payments on the house, that we were paying. He did not appreciate it.

I feel blessed that 3 out of 4 of my children turned out well. The one living with us is a Jehovah's Witnesses. I taught all of my children from the Bible from the time that they were born.We have Bible stories that children can understand.

I heard from Joan today. She is a good friend of mine who lives in PA. She is all right. I am thankful that my daughter is all right.

Ruth

Marilyn and Ruth,

I hope someday all of your children realize how lucky they were to have parents like you. It's unfortunate that some people never recognize how many blessings they have.

Best wishes to all,

Byroney

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.