Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Check-in -- November 2011
cjh1203 posted:
Hi, everyone. Dave usually starts these, but it seems as though nobody has been around lately, so I thought I'd get it going.

We're having beautiful weather in Florida -- not too hot, not too humid, and very cool at night. I'm going to be missing the snow a lot, though, once Thanksgiving is a little closer.

I hope everyone will check in and let us know how you're doing.

Carol
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Carol,
Glad to see the weather is so good in Florida. Especially as Thanksgiving approaches, it's so important for us to appreciate the little things in life during this journey and all the time. It reminds me that people with Alzheimer's truly live in the moment - whether the moment reflects the internal buzz or reactions to external stimulation.

Thanks for starting the November check-in.

I'm with you,
Judy

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Carol and Judy and everyone else!

The Pacific Northwest has been in the high 20s to mid 30s at night, and is around 50 during the day. There's a carpet of leaves to crunch on in some places and the rain makes the cedars and evergreen sparkle like they're tipped by jewels.

I agree about appreciating the little things and living in the moment.

I hope Ruth, Dave, Marilyn, Odie and everyone else are well and enjoying what November has to offer.

My best,

Byroney
Life isn't a matter of milestones but of moments. - Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy

davedsel57 responded:
Hello everyone. Thanks for starting the November Check-In, Carol.

My dad had stomach problems on Sunday involving vomiting and pain. The nurse at the ALF treated him as though it was a virus, and I fully agreed. When the pain did not subside by late in the evening he asked to be taken to the VA emergency room. He was there from 12:30 am Monday until I picked him up about 8:30 am and took him back to his place. After much testing he was diagnosed with mild diverticulitis and given two prescription medications, one being an antibiotic. I talked to him this afternoon and he is getting better slowly. Never a dull moment.

The weather in WNY has been nice this week - mostly sunny and in the 50's. Not too bad for November.

Have a blessed and thankful Thursday, friends.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to davedsel57's response:
How is your dad doing, Dave? Is the work on your house nearing completion?

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend,

Byroney

davedsel57 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi, Byroney.

My dad is doing OK but still having GI symptoms. His nurses from the VA should be there to see him early next week.

Next week they do the windows and doors. Still having problems getting a permit for the patio covering, so that may have to wait until Spring which would be OK.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi Dave. I'm sorry to hear your father is having more problems, but glad he seems to be improving. I hope the medications will take care of it.

It sounds like you're almost living in an all-new house! It must feel good to see all of those improvements. I suppose the weather is going to put everything to a halt pretty soon, and hope most of it will be done by then. As far as the patio covering goes, I guess you won't be spending a lot of time on the patio during the Winter, anyway!

Have a good weekend.

Carol

balmayne replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Friends,

Thought I would drop by and say hello.

Dave, I am sorry about your Father. Glad about your house being rebuilt. Does you Father live with you? All of the remodeling is cheering him up.

My medicine is working. I just have not been on the internet at all for awhile. I have been keeping myself busy.

I have had a surprise, to say the least!! Look under Ruth and tell me what you think or tell me here.

Your Friend,

Ruth

davedsel57 replied to balmayne's response:
OK, I'll try this again. The posting demons are back and staying even though Halloween is over.

Hello, Ruth. That is quite a shock. I pray your dh will agree to seek testing and treatment.

My dad lives in a good Assisted Living Facility. He is happy we are able to get the home repairs done.

Have a blessed and super Saturday, friends.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
It's been pretty quiet here! How is everyone doing?

What Thanksgiving plans do you have? My husband and I, both of my sisters and their families are going to my mother's house. We always have a good time and, of course, always overindulge!

Hope you all have a good week.

Carol

Hello Carol and everyone else!

We usually have a few friends and neighbors over for Thanksgiving, and then play board games like Scrabble and Yahtzee afterwards. I'm not sure if we're going to do it this year as we're counting every penny.

The care facility my MIL (mother-in-law) was in when she had Alzheimer's had the most beautiful Thanksgiving dinners. We were very fortunate to share two there with her, complete with white tablecloths, handsome silverware and goblets (not crystal, but very tastefully done) and good food. She had regular hair salon visits and the staff always made sure she (and everyone else) always looked their best. She was never sure who we were, but we followed her conversational lead and had a nice time.

We're hoping our kids can visit some time around New Years.

How is everyone else doing?

Byroney

davedsel57 responded:
Hello, everyone.

Everything is going fine. My dad is much better and doing well. I've just felt more like reading the WebMD communities than posting lately.

Because I am disabled and my wife works full-time, we have been going to Denny's on Thanksgiving day for the past few years. My wife usually works, and she does this year until 6:30 pm. We will go to Denny's with her parents, my dad and which every of our two sons is not working.

Have a blessed and terrific Tuesday!

Blessings, Dave

balmayne replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi Everyone,

Thought I would stop by and say hello.

Dave, read what I said under Ruth and tell me your suggestions.

Ruth

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to davedsel57's response:
Hello Dave and Ruth!

So nice to hear from you both. I hope this Thanksgiving turns out to be a lovely one for you both.

Dave, we had Thanksgiving one year at Marie Callendar's, and it was very nice. They have especially yummy pies. Pecan is my favorite.

Byroney

Wishing everyone a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving!

Byroney

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.