Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Cataracts and Alzheimer's
cjh1203 posted:
A recent study shows that removing cataracts may help ease Alzheimer's symptoms in some patients. Who would have thought it?

Reading about that led me to an Alzheimer's Association blog entry that discusses diagnosing Alzheimer's by the appearance of a person's cataracts; they are apparently somewhat different from normal cataracts.

There are so many surprises all the time regarding Alzheimer's -- I hope that one day, the surprise will be finding a cure.

Carol

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
It's amazing, isn't it, Carol? They just keep finding all of these clues, but I sure wish we had some answers.

Earlier this year there was an article about Hearing Loss and Alzheimer's , so I find it interesting about the cataracts, too.

Thanks for posting,

Byroney
Life isn't a matter of milestones but of moments. - Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Carol and Everyone,

I can see why removing cataracts can help someone with Alzheimer's. So often we lip read to compensate for hearing loss and hearing loss isolates people. When the world is a blur externally, it feeds into the confusion internally.

Interactions with others is stimulating for eveyone, including those with Alzheimer's so keep on talking with each other even when you have to 'connect the dots' to move the conversation along. By that I mean that you use the phrases that someone says, the feelings you perceive, fill in the blanks and put it together into a sentence that makes sense. The results may be another one of those surprises about people with Alzheimer's.

Try it out and let me know if it helps,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.