Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
My Dad had Alzheimer's
An_241621 posted:
I find it hard to believe my Dad died in 2008. He started showing signs of alzheimer's three years before. The hardest part for me was slowly watching him fade away. He was a strong man. What hurt me so much was the last week of his life when he did not know me. He thought I was my Mom, she pasted away in 1994. I ask him about his daughter (me) and she told me all about her, where she lived and said she was coming to visit him soon. He then sat up in bed and saw my husband sitting next to his bed and he said my husband's name. That broke my heart. How could he know my husband and not me? I pray for a cure for alzheimer's. My heart goes out to the families that have someone with alzheimer's. Someone ask me why do you go visit your father? He doesn't know who you are, my answer was that is true but I know who he is.

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Dear An 241621,

I am so sorry to hear that your Dad couldn't identify you.
How terribly upsetting. The important thing to remember is that he knew you were such a special person in his life. Getting mixed up between you and your Mom is understandable - after all, you probably resembled her when she was your age, and his long term memory retained that picture, even at the very end. In a way, it was a compliment, and he actually did recall that he had you, his daughter, and was able to list your accomplishments.
I applaud you for continuing to visit him despite the disappointment. He knew someone who loved him was there.

Keep on healing,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.