Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
mixing meds
An_242181 posted:
My wife is in moderate to late stage. She is currently taking aricept and namenda. At this time she is in discomfort from dental work where she had the nerve in he rtooth removed because it was infected & dead. Dentist said to give her amoxicillan & 600mg of motrin. Do you think this is ok for someone taking aricept & namenda?
Wife needs to get some rest & get out of pain

cjh1203 responded:
I'm sorry your wife is having pain from her dental work -- that's just so miserable. I would hate to say whether the meds are OK, because I'm not a professional, although if the dentist knows she's on Aricept and Namena, he or she should have take that into consideration.

To put your mind at rest, you might want to phone a pharmacist. They're always happy to give advice like this. Many drugstores are open 24 hours, so you should be able to reach someone now, even if it's late where you are.

I hope your wife will be able to get some quick relief.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Dear An_242181,

I hope your wife is feeling better now. Dental work is never pleasant for any of us, especially for her. The pharmacist should have helped you. The physician who prescribed the other medications is another resource. You are wise to check up on drug interactions.

When she returns for follow-up care, have the dentist to tell your wife what he is doing as he is treating her so that it won't be so scary for her. Reassurance and knowing what comes next can make a difference.

Hope you get some rest, too,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.