Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
what makes them like you or not
malmarky posted:
My Mom is in a alzeimers facility for about 1 month, what makes them look at people and determine they are good or bad ? One person will be fine the next person she instantly dislikes starting to trickle down to her family also

cjh1203 responded:
Hi malmarky. I'm so sorry about your mom.

I don't really know what makes an Alzheimer's patient dislike someone, but I think that paranoia can be part of the disease and that may contribute to it. They may look at someone and think that person is going to try to hurt them or take things from them.

When it comes to family members, do you think your mom remembers who they are (the ones she is taking a dislike to)? Alzheimer's patients often stop recognizing family members, so she may think those people are strangers, and she's afraid of them.

Here are a couple of articles that might help: http://www.caring.com/articles/alzheimers-disease-paranoia and http://helpguide.org/elder/alzheimers_behavior_problems.htm .

Maybe someone else here will have more insight for you.

Best wishes.

Carol

malmarky replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Carol,
Thank You or your insight, it is very hard never know what you are going to get when you go see her, I am very new to this and trying to learn everything I can.
Linda

cjh1203 replied to malmarky's response:
Hi Linda-

I hope you'll feel free to come here with any questions or concerns, or just to vent. We'll help as much as we can.

Do you have an Alzheimer's Association in your area? They offer support groups that can be invaluable, because everyone else is or has been in the same boat as you. They can help you with the practical and emotional aspects of having a loved one with Alzheimer's.

Take care.

Carol

malmarky replied to cjh1203's response:
Carol,
We do have an Alzheimer's Association in our area, I really need to call them and get on board. Thanks again.
Linda

Judith L London, PhD replied to malmarky's response:
Hi Linda,

Contacting the Alzheimer's Assn. is an excellent idea. Your mother's reactions may be part of a transitional process. Sometimes we refer to this as 'tranfer trauma'. Just think how any of us would feel if we suddenly found ourselves in a totally strange environment and had new faces everywhere. We might feel cranky one day and OK the next. She may see someone who reminds her of someone she did not like from her past.

Your mother is expressing her feelings the only way available to her. She will probably settle in as the weeks go by.

Meanwhile, you have done her a service in placing her. Now she can receive the stimulation and interaction that she needs. Just go with her feelings by empathizing her, whatever she feels.

I lead an Alzheimer's support group for caregivers like you who report similar stories when they placed a loved one in a memory residence.

Please take care of yourself - sounds like your mother is being cared for.

Keep us posted,
Judy

malmarky replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Judy,
You have given me a lot to think about, I really hope she does settle in soon, it is agony to see her like this, I am always second guessing myself on her care.

Linda

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.