Skip to content
Shaving
gramma826 posted:
Hi, I recently started helping a friend who's husband has Alzheimer's, He's had it for about 10 yrs now, has gotten worse in the last few months. Her concern is that up until about a month ago he was shaving himself with and electric razor, now he get agitated when she ties to shave him, she is using hair clippers because it get a little off and he seems to tolerate it. She is frustrated because she doesn't understand why he doesn't like the razor anymore.
Any advise for her?

Thanks gramma826

2010guardian responded:
Hi, gramma826,

I had the same concerns about my husband shaving with the sharp razors and he does have an electric rechargable razor, but he didn't like it very much. For Christmas, I bought him a wet or dry rechargable razor, so I wouldn't have to worry about him cutting himself or dropping his dry rechargable razor in the sink.

With the new wet or dry one, he could use it in the shower if he wanted to. However, his legs are too weak to stand very long. I bought him a stand-alone mirror that he sets on the sink counter and then he sits on the stool seat to shave. I don't have to worry about him. It's worth the extra money I spent . I hope this helps.

Kathy

gramma826 replied to 2010guardian's response:
Thank - you, I didn't even know you could get a wet/dry razor, where did you get it? and if you don't mind how much was it? I will tell my friend about it.

Gayle

cjh1203 replied to gramma826's response:
Hi, Gayle. In case Kathy isn't around right now, I'm butting in and answering your question. You should be able to find a wet/dry razor at any drugstore, Target, Walmart, etc., without any problem. I think it's one of those things you just don't notice unless you're actually looking for it.

I'd be interested in knowing if it helps.

Carol

gramma826 replied to cjh1203's response:
Thanks Carol, I will tell her about it. He is letting me shave him with the hair clippers but they make him nervous, I stopped and got a beard trimmer today and will tell her about the wet/dry razor tomorrow, i kinda forgot about about it today.

Gayle

2010guardian replied to gramma826's response:
I got it at Walgreens But they also have them at Walmart. It will cost someplace between 80 and $100 depending on the model. There are several models, so be sure you get the one that says wet or dry. I recommend using the special shaving cream that is recommended to go with it. The name is Phillips Norelco. There is a special place that you can insert the cream in the razor. that didn't last long. It isn't worth the extra money or effort to do that. The tall can is white and called Nivea for Men. I'm sure this will bring peace of mind. and you are very welcome!

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.