Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Exciting development
cjh1203 posted:
Just saw this article on CNN's site. A drug used to treat a type of skin cancer has been found to reverse Alzheimer's in mice. It may not pan out for people with Alzheimer's but, for now, it looks like a promising possibility.

LokRobster responded:
interesting - it's always cool when a development has applications outside of its original target.

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi cjh 1203,

Although that drug, bexarotene, is FDA approved for use in advancing skin cancer, many trials have to be initiated to determine whether it will work in Alzheimer's. The dosage, in particular, needs to be established for that purpose.

A certain amount of beta amyloid is needed to maintain the brain. It is not clear whether the plaque accumulation that develops in Alzheimer's is a cause or a byproduct of the disease.

Another issue is that the patent on bexatotene will expire in a year so that many pharmaceutical companies may shy away from testing a drug that soon will be available in its generic form at a much lower price.

Here's hoping that the Alzheimer's Assn. will sponsor trials,

Judy

2010guardian replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Thanks for explaining this. The cure for AD won't come in my lifetime, but maybe in my grandchildrens lifetime. That would be great!

Kthy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.