Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Protandim and its affect on slowing the progression of Alzheimers
clinchem posted:
Does anyone have a relative who has been taking protandim and seen positive results in slowing and/or reversing the effects of Alzheimers?

It appears that none of the Alzheimer's prescribed drugs are really effective short-term or long-term in stopping the progress of Alzheimers. I have several elderly relatives (7) who have Alzheimers and none of them have had positive outcomes being on the drugs used to treat Alzheimers. In addition, several of my friends whose parents have Alzheimers are experiencing the same thing I am.

So, I decided to look at alternative, natural treatments and one of them could be protandim. Please give me your feedback. Thank you.

cjh1203 responded:
I'm afraid I don't know anything about protandim -- maybe someone else will -- but I wanted to say something about the existing drugs. None of them claim to stop the progress of Alzheimer's, but they're normally very effective in slowing its progress.

I knew a woman years ago, before the current drugs were available, who didn't recognize anyone in her family within about 18 months of her diagnosis, and she died within about 2-1/2 years.

My uncle, on the other hand, took Aricept and Namenda and, until he died of a stroke more than seven years after his diagnosis, he still knew everyone and was able to keep up with what was going on in the world. He did have other problems associated with Alzheimer's, but I firmly believe that he would have deteriorated much more quickly without the medications he was given.

If anything could stop the progression of Alzheimer's, it would be major news but, at the moment, there is nothing that can do that. I don't know if protandim can help slow it, but maybe some other people here will have more information.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Clinchem,

It's tough when so many of your family have Alzheimer's. I'd like to suggest that you consider recommending some of them to enrol in the clinical trials that are so in need of participants. If you go to www.alz.org , you will see the clinical trials conducted in the respective communities.

Meanwhile, a recent study reports that people without Alzheimer's who may have the APOEe4 gene present in some families can dramatically reduce their chances of getting the disease if they engage in moderate aerobic exercise.

Hope you find some help,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.