Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How do I know if there is a problem?
An_243413 posted:
I have recently become concerned about my memory, and I hope it isn't anything as serious as Alzheimer's, but it has me worrying a little.
Over the past several months, it seems that I have a conversation with my husband, and then completely forget it happened. A couple of days later I try to tell him the same story, and he will tell me that we already talked about it. I never remember talking about it previously.
The other day, I apparently called my sister, talked on the phone with her, and made plans for the weekend. The weekend came and she called me to see where I was. I didn't even remember talking to her.
I also am having a hard time remembering past events, I keep getting my husband mixed up with my ex, whether it's places we visited together, or who his extended family are, or even when everyone's birthdays are. I used to always remember dates.
And at work I am having a hard time memorizing numbers. In order to get a new promotion, I am supposed to learn the weights of about 15 of our items, but I have been studying for a year now and can not remember more than 5 of the weights.
I am only 23 (which I also forget sometimes) and all of this deeply concerns me. I read online that stress or lack of sleep can cause these problems, but I have very little stress, and I sleep at least 10 hours a night.
Is it some form of Alzheimer's? Is this something I can fix?

cjh1203 responded:
I can understand your concern, especially if your memory has been getting noticeably worse in recent months.

I've never heard of Alzheimer's in someone as young as you -- in fact, I think it's all but unheard of in people under 40.

From a WebMD article, this is a list of some conditions that can cause Alzheimer's-like symptoms:

• Stress and anxiety
  • ADHD
  • Depression
  • Metabolic diseases such as thyroid gland diseases, diabetes , and lung, liver, or kidney failure
  • Alcoholism
  • Vitamin B-12 deficiency
  • Infections
  • Drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter
The good news is that those are all reversible.

The first thing you need to do, though, is get thoroughly checked out by a doctor you trust. If he/she dismisses your worry about your memory because of your age, try someone else. No matter what the cause is, you do have legitimate concerns and they deserve to be taken seriously.

Carol

An_243413 replied to cjh1203's response:
Thank you Carol for the advice! Do you have the link to this article? I think I might want to bring it in tow when I visit the doctor!

cjh1203 replied to An_243413's response:
This article is aimed at people 50 and over, but there may be some things that apply to you. Here's another, similar article which, again, is geared to older people. It's hard to find anything that really applies to someone as young as you, since most memory decline is due to age, whether it's normal aging or some sort of dementia.

I hope you'll let us know what you find out and that, if there is a problem, it's something easily treatable. Have you already made a doctor's appointment?

Good luck.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi,

Definitely get a complete physical including a thorough blood work up. The only cases I have heard about such an early onset of Alzheimer's are among those who have a parent with the onset of this disease well before the age of 60.

Hope you find an answer soon,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.