Skip to content
March Check-In
Judith L London, PhD posted:
Hi Everyone,

It's that time again for a check-in. Spring begins March 19th, not the 20th, because of Leap Year. How do you feel about the start of Spring? Any reflections?

One of the ways to cope with the stress of A;lzheimer's is to write how you are doing.

So, let us know,

Judy

davedsel57 responded:
Hello, everyone.

I always look forward to Spring each year. Fortunately, we have had a very mild winter. Quite unusual for Western New York, but it has been wonderful.

Things are going very well. Today we took my dad to visit his brother who was in the hospital for most of January and is dealing with many health problems. They live six houses away from my dad's mobile home so it is a one hour trip each way. My dad enjoys getting out and had a great time today, and so did we.

Have a blessed and marvelous March!
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
I used to look forward so much to Spring when I lived in Indiana and, especially, Virginia. Seeing all the flowers and the trees in bloom just made me feel like a new person and that anything was possible. Unfortunately, Spring in Florida is almost undetectable. It's still winter, and our high today is supposed to be 88!

I can't complain, though, after seeing the devastation of all of yesterday's and today's tornadoes. It's gut-wrenching to read the stories and see the photos, and puts everything else in perspective.

I'm glad your dad is doing so well, Dave.

I hope we'll be hearing from some of the people who have been absent for a while.

Carol

2010guardian responded:
Hi Judy,

Spring is a time of renewing. It is mentally refreshing to be able to get out and clean the yard or dig in the dirt. In the past we've always had a garden and I love the flowers of the springtime.
We have a garden area about 8 x 11'. Last year we just planted tomatoes. I usually get my grandchildren to help. While the 5 of them are working and cleaning and Grandpa is sitting in his chair next to the garden supervising, I take pictures. I have gone to using planters since it hurts my low back to get up and down.

Wishing everyone a Blessed Springtime of Renewing!

Kathy

balmayne1 replied to 2010guardian's response:
Hi Everyone,

I have been doing a lot of research.

I look forward to spring but we have already had a beautiful spring. I think we are going to have an early summer and a hot one.

It is all ready in the 70's in CA. We did not get enough rain this winter.

I cannot complain, other people are so much worse off than I am.

Ruth

cjh1203 replied to balmayne1's response:
Hi Ruth-

Somehow, I missed your post from a couple of weeks ago. How are you doing? Are you getting a lot of support from the other discussion board you joined? It's always good to see you here, and I really hope you're doing well.

Stay in touch with us!

Carol

balmayne1 replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Everyone,

Carol thank you for asking.

I am doing fine.

I also have epilepsy and I had a bad seizure. I wound up in the ER a week later. This time they put me in ICU for a couple of days.

I am trying the Gluten-free diet. I have only found about 3 products that are gluten free, though. It is helping my memory. It is much more sharp.

Plus, it turned out that I was taking too much medicine for my epilepsy. I am taking a lot less medicine and I am feeling a whole lot better. That has helped my memory too.

I will try to stay more in touch with everyone here.

We are now having our winter. The mountains are beautiful with snow. Next week we are going to have spring weather. I love the spring and fall times of the year.

Ruth

It's great to hear from you, Ruth.

I'm sorry to hear about your seizure -- that must have been really frightening for you and your family.

It's so interesting to hear that your memory has improved on a gluten-free diet. I wasn't aware of a connection but, apparently, there's some evidence that there is one. According to this article , some Alzheimer's patients are found to have a gluten intolerance (celiac disease) and their memories, like yours, improve on a gluten-free diet.

Our grocery store has tons of gluten-free products of all kinds -- I hope you're able to find a bigger variety. It wouldn't take long to get really tired of the same three gluten-free things!

Have you ever tried Ezekiel bread ? They also have gluten-free English muffins and tortillas. It's usually in the freezer section -- in our store, it's in the organic frozen meals section.

It's wonderful that cutting back on your seizure medication has made such a difference, too. You must be thrilled to be feeling so much better and see such an improvement in your memory.

I'm so glad to hear your encouraging news, Ruth. Thank you for updating us -- it's always so nice to hear from you.

Carol

balmayne1 replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Carol,

Thank you for the info. I have found more gluten free products but I am on a low sodium diet. Most gluten free products are very high in sodium.

My doctor found out that I was high in sodium because of blood tests that they did. I checked my foods and sure enough the culprit is the gluten free products. They do not have to add a high amount of sodium. Like the Almond Milk that is gluten free. It is made out of almonds. They add sea salt and make it high in sodium.

Why do they do that for people who are gluten intolerant?

Ruth

Hi Ruth.

That's a frustrating thing about finding a food that leaves out an ingredient you don't want -- there's almost always too much of something else, to make up for it. I can see how it would be difficult to find low-sodium, gluten-free foods.

Companies seem to be paying a bit more attention to the sodium in foods, but there's still a long way to go. If they just reduce sodium in foods by 10-15%, it would make a big difference to people's health, but there would probably be little change in taste.

There are always new challenges, aren't there? I hope you're able to find more gluten-free foods that aren't so high in sodium. Have you tried a natural-foods store?

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.