Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hi, I just joined the community today!
donnnna posted:
My mom has Alzheimer's. She's 77. I just heard something about coconut oil, that adding it to her diet might help reverse some symptoms. Has anyone heard about this?

cjh1203 responded:
I heard the tail-end of an interview with a doctor about this, a couple of days ago. He said that it appears to be somewhat promising, but there's no reliable data yet. Apparently, part of what has brought about the interest in this is that people in certain parts of India use coconut oil on a regular basis, and India supposedly has a lower incidence of Alzheimer's than some other countries do (the doctor is from the part of India where coconut oil is used). He said that he's not convinced that the incidence of Alzheimer's really is lower there -- it could be that, because parts of the country are so poor, it's just under-reported.

Anyway, here's a link to a question about it on the People's Pharmacy site, and they also have a link to a video about this.

It would be wonderful if coconut oil does turn out to have a effect on Alzheimer's. If you try it with your mom, please let us know if you see a difference.

Welcome to the board -- I hope you will continue to post here!

Carol

davedsel57 responded:
Hello, donnnna and welcome.

Carol has given you excellent advice as always. I just wanted to say hello. Please feel free to post about anything anytime.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

Judith L London, PhD responded:
HI!

Welcome to the community!

The Alzheimer's Assn reported that there is no clear benefit from coconut oil.

Make sure your Mom has plenty of Vitamin B-12, eats a healthy diet - lots of fruits and vegetables/juices, esepcially apple juice, and exercises as much as she can. It won't prevent the Alzheimer's from progressing, but it may help her anyway.

It takes many years before people show the signs of Allzheimer's, according to the latest beliefs.

You can follow the same healthy regimen - it's good for the brain.

Hope to hear from you again,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.