Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
my mom has alzheimers
ladyroser posted:
my mom is in a assistant living home. she has been having a lot of falls. is it related to her alzheirmers?her balance has been getting bad not as stable on her feet.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

Same situation with my dad - he is in an alf and has had several falls over the past year. I think it is both part of aging (my dad is 81) and the ad. That's the reason we put our loved ones in assisted living - when they fall they can call the nursing staff for assistance. My dad was actually sent to the er twice for treatment after his falls.

I have spoken with my dad's doctor and he agrees with my thinking - its both aging and the ad. We've encouraged my dad to use his cane, even when going to the bathroom in the night. You may want to talk to your mom's doctor about this as well.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

ladyroser replied to davedsel57's response:
thank you very much for your response. we have talk to her about using a walker or a cane and she is refusing to use either one. i was wonder about her falls and i believe it does have something with the alzheimers. but no one was sure of it or could give me a answer.so far she hasnt needed to taken to the er yet.she is very stubborn.thank you for answer me and welcome it . we just place my mom almost a year ago in assistant living. she has still believe she doesnt be long there. i that it is best for her. but it ia still difficult to talk to her. thnaks again

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Sorry to hear about the falls.

It's hard to convince someone that a cane is needed.

Has your Mom been checked for an infection, dehydration or a vitamin B-12 deficiency? Also, what other medications does she take? Have a physician check this out to see if side effects are a contributing factor, as wll as the above.

People with Lewy body dementia have problems with balance and iinitiating motion. They have Parkinson's like symptoms. Has she been evaluated for this? Often those with one type of dementia fall prey to another type as well.

Hope you find some relief - it sounds rough.

Take care,

Judy

ladyroser replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
thank you for you response i will check on these other thingsyes it has been ruff

cjh1203 replied to ladyroser's response:
Ladyroser, my uncle, who had Alzheimer's, also had quite a few falls. His wife and other family members, including me, kept trying to talk him into using a cane or walker. My aunt ended up telling him that the doctor said he had to use a walker or be in a wheelchair, and that seemed to do the trick. I don't know if that would work for your mother or not.

I hope things start getting better. I know it's all very difficult.

Best wishes-
Carol

ladyroser replied to cjh1203's response:
thank you for your response.she used the walker about a day and a half i was there yesterday and she wouldnt touch it at all and i know that she has not used it today either.we told her that if she doesnt use it she could fall and break her hjip one of these days and be layed up for a long time and may get pnuemonia.it doesnt face her at all. will try the wheelchair .anything is worth a try.

cjh1203 replied to ladyroser's response:
The frustrating thing about trying to reason with someone who has Alzheimer's is that they lack the ability to make a logical decision, or to properly process what you say. When you tell her that she could fall and break a hip, it probably doesn't mean anything to her. We found that, with my uncle, he was much more cooperative when he was told what to do (in a kind but firm way), rather than given choices or explanations. It's a lot like dealing with a young child, who can't understand the consequences of things.

I hope you're able to find a way to get her to use her walker. I know it's a real worry when she won't use it and has a history of falls.

Please keep us posted.

Carol

ladyroser replied to cjh1203's response:
thank you for your reply i will take what you said and work with it.i will keep everyone in form on what goes on it is great to be able to communicate with someone who has been through it thanks again

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.