Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Alzheimer Emblem decal
2010guardian posted:

Take the Poll

Do you think that Alzheimer Emblem decals should be made available to post on doors
  • Yes
  • I'm not sure
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

davedsel57 responded:
No, I don't think that posting the Alzheimer's Emblem on doors would be proper. I feel that would be advertizing one's medical condition to the public and that information should remain private.
My dad won't believe he has Alzheimer's and thinks he is in ALF due to his Diabetes. This reminds me of "The Scarlet Letter" and could be compared to branding someone.

I'm interested to know others thoughts, especially yours 2010guardian.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

2010guardian replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for responding. I appreciate your views. I do see a disadvantage of having a sticker on the door. I know some people take advantage of the situation.

My thoughts were for the police and fire protection. Maybe it would be best to just put up a handicapped sticker. Still, that could be a disadvantage also. When I lived in the city, the firefighters had stickers both handicapped and children stickers to put on the doors and the window of the bedroom.

I'm interested in hearing other ideas. I'm only interested in providing safety measures for my husband and other disadvantaged people.

Kathy

cjh1203 replied to 2010guardian's response:
Hi Kathy.

I understand why a sticker might be a good thing but, as you and Dave say, it also advertises that there's someone in the house that might be easily taken advantage of.

There's a local program here called "vial of life" (I don't know if it exists in other places), where you put a vial containing medical information in a certain place in your refrigerator, and put a red dot on your refrigerator door, so paramedics know to look for the vial. Here's a recent article about it.

I'm not sure if that's the sort of thing that might accomplish what you're looking for.

The Alzheimer's Association has a Safety Center on its web site, with information that you might find of interest. One thing is an Alzheimer's medic-alert bracelet plus Safe Return service.

It's great that you're taking the initiative on this -- a lot of people probably don't think about it until something bad happens.

Take care.

Carol

2010guardian replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Carol,

I have to agree with Dave as I can see the problems that a decal might cause. My main thought was in an emergency situation with Fire or Police. Thanks for your input.

I think I have a Vial that I brought from the city, but I never heard of the Fire Department or Police pushing this. My husband was a firefighter for 26 years and he never mentioned it. Therefore, I didn't use it. I assumed no one was using the system. I'll ask him tomorrow. I live in a small town now. There are firefighters in my church, I'll talk to them about it.

I did check out the 'safety center'. I have seen it in the past, but since Ken does not wonder since he has been on the medicines I have not pursued joining. He does not have the jewelry and I'm thinking that since I'm leaving him alone for an hour or 2 quite often, it may be a good thing to do. He won't wear his watch with the turquoise stone bands which he likes so much, I'm not sure he will wear anything yet.

As you know I was skeptical about the disposable 'shorts' also and he actually likes wearing the guards during the day as it keeps him from worrying when we go out and he's afraid he can't get to the restroom. He also 'wants' to wear them to bed. He also feels so bad about the extra work he causes me when he doesn't wear them. So, I shouldn't make any decisions for him. I should just talk to him about it.
I appreciate the information you have given.

Kathy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.