Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What age can Alzheimer's start
Cwmoss87 posted:
Hi my name is Chris, I have gradually been having problems with my short term memory, I am 24, I am pretty healthy I would like to think, I have an athletic build, I don't drink, or smoke or take any medications, When I was younger I was ADHD so I did take medications when I was younger and I had trouble concentrating because I had so much energy, but I could remember anything, now I can't remember a persons name from 5 minutes earlier, I often find myself walking to get something and forgetting why I was walking there even when its just a minute walk away. I can remember things that happened awhile ago as clear as day but for some reason my short term memory is basically gone, I had to leave college because I cant remember anything that I read anymore. Granted I still manage to function but unless I spend a ton of time trying to remember something in specific than I might as well just forget about trying to remember, I have noticed my memory is getting worse, I am at the point where I find my self stuttering in a conversation because I forgot what I was going to say half way through the conversation and its really frustrating. I took an official IQ test about 6 years ago and I scored a 137. I know I am not stupid but right now, I feel like I am losing a grip on my mind. I would go to a doctor but I can't afford to pay a bill since I work at Walmart and have a car payment. I did have my head cracked open when i was 4 or 5 years old and I had to have Occupation Therapy for small motor skills and speech class, but could that be causing me problems now after all this time, or could I be getting Alzheimer's at this age?

davedsel57 responded:
Hello, and welcome.

Only a doctor will be able to tell what is causing your symptoms. It is rare, as far as I understand, to have Alzheimer's while you are in your 20's. However, I suppose anything like this would be possible given your history.

Please see your doctor for a thorough evaluation and then update us when you have a diagnosis.

I pray you can get the answers you need soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Hi Chris.

This must be such a worry for you, especially because it's affected your life in such a major way.

Early-onset Alzheimer's can affect people in their 20s, but it is extremely rare. It's very possibly something else going on, and I suppose it could have to do with your childhood head injury.

Do you take any medications?

Here is a web site that tells you where you can get medical care at little or no cost, depending on your ability to pay.

As Dave said, only a doctor can give you a diagnosis, and you really should see one soon. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you can get some answers soon. Please keep us posted.

Carol

Cwmoss87 replied to cjh1203's response:
Thank you very much, and thank you for the link you sent me. I am very grateful for any support or suggestions.

2010guardian responded:
Hi Chris,
I can feel your frustration. My daughter-in-law was hit by a car when she was 2 years old. She almost didn't make it and had several surgeries over the years when she was younger. She also had ADD orADHD and was in Special Ed in school. It was very hard for her to learn. She has trouble with short-term memory. She has to make notes for everything. So, I see her difficulty in functioning.

She also has worked at Walmart and I know they have a good insurance plan. If you don't already have this, I suggest you check into it before you are diagnosed with anything.

The Best To You,
Kathy

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Chris,

What a worry! I would suggest you definitely go to a neurologist. It is unusual for Alzheimer's to start at such an early age without having relatives who also got the disease below the age of 60. You also may benefit from neuropsychology testing which would pinpoint the areas in your brain that may be affected by the short-term memory loss.

The stress from worrying about what's going on may also be contibuting to your symptoms.

Let us know what you find out.

We are rooting for you,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.