Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
absolutely clueless
ecr1987 posted:
For the past 11 years my mother has progressed from depressed to schizophrenic bipolar suicidal and dementia. today her nurse told me that my mother has now been diagnosed with alzheimers. When I was a little child, my fathers father had alzheimers. im told its terminal and i feel absolutely helpless. my mother and i have had the worst relationship my whole life but im more afraid of how my father will handle the news and the turnout. please someone give me some advice so i dont go crazy and i know what to expect in the years to come! god bless!

cjh1203 responded:
Hi ecr. How sad for your family that your mother has had so many problems in her life. They all have such a huge effect on everyone around her.

Alzheimer's progresses differently for everyone, and the life expectancy after diagnosis can vary greatly. What kind of symptoms is your mother having now? You said that her nurse told you about her diagnosis -- is your mother in a facility of some kind? How old is she?

You said that you're afraid of how your father will handle the news -- what kind of reaction are you afraid he will have?

The Alzheimer's Association web site can give you a lot of information. The best thing you and your father can do is join an Alzheimer's support group. The people there have been or are going through many of the same things you are, and they can give you practical advice and moral support. We will certainly do our best to do the same, but sometimes it helps to be with real people, having real-time conversations.

Please tell us more about the situation with your mom, and we'll answer your questions and concerns as best we can.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Dear ecr1987,

First of all, obtain an accurate diagnosis from a physician. If the onset of her symptoms were sudden, or even gradual, a thorough physical is in order.

If it is Alzheimer's, the 11 years of other brain disorders may have weakened her brain to be more susceptible to Alzheimer's disease.

Definitely get assistance from your local Alzheimer's Assn. for both you and your father. Support groups are so helpful when facing this illness. Call 800-272-3900 or go to www.alz.org

Keep us posted - our community is supportive, too.

Remember to take care of yourself during this stressful time.

We're here for you,

JUDY

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

"Outsmart Your Genes"--a MUST READ!
I read "Outsmart Your Genes" by Brandon Colby MD and it was such an empowering read. I have been looking for other publications by this ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.