Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
April Check-In
Judith L London, PhD posted:
Hi Everyone,

It's still early enough in April to do a check-in. Spring is slow to arrive in Northern CA but we're grateful for the rain last week. Now if the wind would only slow down...

Have a Happy Easter and a Happy Passover,

Judy

2010guardian responded:
Happy Easter to you, Judy. The weather is beautiful in Ok., but cooling down at night now.

Kathy

davedsel57 responded:
Good morning.

We had a false start to our Spring here in WNY. Back to reality with more normal temperatures. Lots of sunshine, though, which is always a good thing.

My dad still is happy in his new place with one exception. He does not like the man he sits next to a meals. They have assigned seating and are required to attend at least two meals, preferably all three, in the dining room each day. Yesterday my dad called me threatening to stop going down to all meals because this man is nasty and smells bad. I told him I would talk to someone, and just left a voice mail with the case worker this morning. My dad has always been intolerant and impatient with others so this partly is just his nature. I'm praying they just move the man or resolve it soon in some way. Just an example that some of us may not be the direct care givers, but are just as involved and get the good and bad that go along with having a loved on with Alzheimer's.

Have a blessed and fantastic Friday and an awesome April, friends.

To those that celebrate today as Good Friday...
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Here in Florida we pretty much went straight from Fall to Summer -- no real Winter or Spring. We had a record high of 92 a couple of days ago, and it's supposed to be in the upper 80s today. I'm so grateful for air-conditioning! When it's so hot, the dogs just stand around like cows at the dog park, but I feel guilty if I don't take them.

Dave, I hope the problem with your dad's dining partner gets resolved. I imagine that's something the facility has to deal with fairly regularly.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Carol

davedsel57 replied to cjh1203's response:
The case manager assigned my dad to the next table who has a married couple and another man. For some reason, my dad was not happy with that so she offered him a table with all women. He stormed out of her office saying that was ridiculous. The case manger called me just to make me aware of the situation. I apologized profusely and she said it was not a problem and she was very used to this type of thing. We're leaving it that my dad will sit at the table with the man and couple starting tomorrow. I'll let him calm down and call him later today or tomorrow. He is being very stubborn about this one thing, but that sometimes is part of having Alzheimer's. I'm sure it will all be fine, he just needs to accept this solution.

Blessings, Dave

Judith L London, PhD replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi Dave.

There's always a glitch, isn't there? Try discussing with your father how he feels about having meals with people he doesn't know, and see iuf he will tell you more, especially if the couple - man situation doesn't work out.

Your role as a caregiver never stops - even when others are involved. That's why I refer to you as 'The Unsung Heroes' of my upcoming book of that title.

Hope this gets solved soon,
Judy

davedsel57 replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Hi, Judy.

The meal time thing has all been fixed. Now they are working with his doctor to get his diabetes under better control. His blood glucose readings started running very low - a 30 on Sunday morning. No symptoms, but the nursing staff was concerned and is working with his doctor to probably reduce his dose of insulin. My dad was very belligerent with the staff at the alf on Sunday afternoon and with me on the phone twice that day. I've let him calm down and will touch base with him and his nursing staff today.

Your new book sounds very interesting to me. I don't know if I am an "unsung hero", but I certainly have some battle scars.

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Blessings, Dave

balmayne1 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi Everyone,

I have good news I was in the hospital for my seizures.
My doctor did long MRI's. I was wondering why.

I saw my neurologist last week and he gave me the print out of the results of the MRI. I have mild cognitive impairment in my brain along with my epilepsy.

It showed no signs of Alzheimer's. Was it the diet that I am on ;that reversed it? I am still on ;a gluten free diet and my memory is better.

Or, did my neurologist misdiagnose me? What do you think?

Ruth

cjh1203 replied to balmayne1's response:
Oh, Ruth, that's such wonderful news! You and your husband must be ecstatic.

Without knowing anything more than what I've read in your posts over the past few months, I really think you were misdiagnosed. Some of your very earliest posts sounded a bit confused but, otherwise, I would never, ever have thought you had Alzheimer's if you hadn't told us. That said, though, it sounds like your diet has probably helped, too.

Whatever it is, I couldn't be happier for you. You should do some celebrating.

I hope you'll continue to be part of this community. You've offered a lot of wonderful support and advice to people here, and we would miss you if you stopped posting.

Carol

balmayne1 replied to cjh1203's response:
Thank you Carol for wanting me to stay here.

I will be back and post some more. There is an exciting breakthrough that I will share with you. Off hand I do not have the article link. This is the main information from UC Davis:

They have found out why today's medicines do not work. They do not cross the blood-brain barrier. They have found that fluorene compounds are small molecules that have been shown to penetrate the brain well.

They are going to start testing animals. I am excited by this find. I believe it will lead to a cure or at least control AD.

Ruth

balmayne1 replied to balmayne1's response:
Here is the link:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/ newsroom/6508

Ruth

cjh1203 replied to balmayne1's response:
That sounds so exciting, Ruth. Thanks for letting us know about it.There seems to be a lot of promising research going on right now -- reason to be optimistic, I think.

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.