Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Concerned my Dad is showing symptoms
KMaryR posted:
Hello! I am concerned about my 82 year old father. He has begun to have some cognitive skills. Especially with numbers. But the most troubling symptom is night time hallucinations. He states that he knows these crabs and soldiers and people that he's seeing aren't real, but he is seeing them at night. Is this a symptom of Alzheimer's? I haven't read anything yet that mentions hallucinations.

2010guardian responded:
Dear KMary R.,
I'm sorry that your father is having these problems and I certainly understand about the hallucinations.

Before my husband was diagnosed with Moderate Alzheimers, he was having hallucinations and I was a part of them. At first he wouldn't tell me about them until 2 or 3 days later. Then he started telling me regularly because I was a part of his aggravation. He also was getting up at night and roaming around the house. Once he got fully dressed and by the time he got to the living room, he noticed that it was still night. So he sat in his chair and slept. One night he thought the detached garage door was open, so he went out to close it and found that it wasn't open. I arranged to have double dead bolt locks on the doors and hid the key at night.

Since he's been on Aricept and Naminda, he has not roamed and does not hallucinate very often. The medicines slow down the disease.

I recommend that you take your father to the doctor and tell about the symptoms you are witnessing. He will probably schedule an appointment for a test. The sooner you know for sure, the better it will be for your father and you.

God Bless

I care
Kathy

Check on the Alzeheimer web page for symptoms of the disease.

2010guardian responded:
Hi KMaryR,

search the web "alzeheimer symptoms"

This will tell you the symptoms of different stages.

I care!

Kathy

KMaryR replied to 2010guardian's response:
Thank you so much, Kathy, for responding to my post and for sharing your experience and help. I've been trying to get my father to the doctors. The problem at this point is that he has had a deep rooted phobia of doctors his entire life. He fears that they are going to kill him - accidentally - due to misdiagnosis or something. So he won't go to the doctors willingly. This last time that I attempted to convince him to just have a checkup, he told me that he isn't worried about the hallucinations because he knows what the hallucinations are. I asked him what and he told me that the hallucinations are people who have passed beckoning him over to the spirit world. So, I feel that I am pushed up against a wall until he will agree to medical care. Thank you though, for caring! That means a lot and I don't feel so alone.

2010guardian replied to KMaryR's response:
Hi, KMaryR,

Your father is in a sad situation. I do understand about his feelings about the spirit world. My husband confused his hallucinations with his Indian culture. I asked him if the spirits tried to bother him and he said, 'No, I'm not afraid of them. I just wave my hand for them to get out of the way, and they move.' I asked, 'What are they doing?' He said, they just stand around and watch me." He didn't seem to think it was strange when I was supposedly with them. He didn't notice that I was in the bed beside him.

I think the sadest part about your father's situation is that if he does have Alzheimers, he will only get worse faster because he isn't on the medicines. The medicines slow down the disease. Within 2 weeks after starting Namenda, my husband showed improvement. Soon after, he began Aricept. He could hardly function before his meds.

I'm wondering, if you can talk to the doctor and tell him about the situation, maybe get a referral to a phsychiatrist, you could tell your dad that you're taking him to see someone he can talk to about his spirit world. If that visit is like the one that my husband had, no one is taking blood pressure, etc.
It is'nt the 'doctor' atmosphere.

Don't give up. Maybe a professional from this web site can give you better advice. I'll keep you both in my prayers. Today my husband cut the grass with his riding mower. Yesterday, he put locks on our shelter door using a drill. He did everything right. I watch him in amazement at his abilities and trying to carry on as before this horrible disease.

Kathy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.