Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Durable Medical Power of Attorney
2010guardian posted:
I do have Medical Power of Attorney for my husband. I'm wondering if I need to have it stated 'Durable' Medical Power of Attoney.

What does Durable mean and how is it better to have 'durable' on the papers than without it? How does 'durable' make it better?

Any ideas?

Kathy

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

Here is an article that explains all the types of POA's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_of_attorney

The best thing to do would be to discuss this with your attorney. When my dad was diagnosed last year I contracted an attorney specializing in Elder Law. They were a huge help in getting the documents together that I needed to get my dad the care he needs.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Hi Kathy. The link Dave provided gives good information about POA's.

I just wanted to clarify that a Durable POA is not a medical one, although medical issues can be covered under it. A Durable POA gives the person who has it authority to make all decisions and conduct financial transactions on behalf of the person who granted it. It's much broader than a Medical POA. Here's a sample Durable Power of Attorney form .

As Dave said, your attorney can make sure you have all the necessary documents to be able to deal with the changes in your husband's ability to make decisions for himself.

Best wishes-
Carol

2010guardian replied to cjh1203's response:
Thank you Carol. I have had this straight in my mind several years ago when I had our living trust drawn. All of a sudden, I started doubting things. I do have Durable Power of Attorney and also Medical Power of Attorney. I just started questioning myself. Thanks for verifying it. and thanks for the form.

Kathy

2010guardian replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks Dave,
I was just confused for a while. We took the papers to an attorney after we moved to Oklahoma. He verified that they were all legal without changing anything, even though he offered to do them over for $1500.

Thanks for the web site.

Kathy

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Kathy,

You probably have this covered but check in about the most legal form of advanced directives that explain a person's wishes for emergency care or medical procedures if he is incapacitated.

Local senior centers may hasve volunteers who can assist you without a fee.

It's important for all of us to have these papers in order for ourselves as well way in advance of any emergency.

Good to be thinking ahead,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.