Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Alzheimers
qmb60 posted:
I would like to find someone to talk to .My hubby has Alzheimers

cjh1203 responded:
I'm really sorry about your husband. It's so difficult and lonely to care for someone you love who has Alzheimer's.

How long ago was he diagnosed? How far advanced is his disease? Is he taking any medications?

Everyone here has experience with loved ones with Alzheimer's, so please feel free to look to us for help and support.

Joining an Alzheimer's support group in your area can be a tremendous help, too. There will be a lot of people who are going through or have gone through the same kinds of things you're facing. They can offer practical advice, helpful resources and moral support.

Please continue to post here, though, and we will do our best to help you in any way we can.

Best wishes.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi,

What a shock this must be.

Please contact the Alzheimer's Assn, www.alz.org . or call 800-272-3900. They have support groups and people to talk to, along with tons of information that is valuable. Just because your husband has Alzheimer's doesn't mean that you cannot still have a meaningful relationship with him.

We welcome you to our community and hope to hear from you soon,

Judy

qmb60 replied to cjh1203's response:
I have not been able to find a group here or just some one to talk to . My husband is on meds. he has had this a few yrs but is getting worse. Joe is at the point that he can't reminder how to fix things and think what to do at most times . He does get mad and upset.

You know i am not sure what to do at times. He is not able to work now because of not remembering how to fix it. He used to know how to flip a hambuger or do wood working . He does mow the yard.

Thanks , Sue

cjh1203 replied to qmb60's response:
Hi Sue-

Have you tried the phone number or web site Judy mentioned? They can help you so much, even if there isn't a group nearby (although they can tell you if there is one).

Does your husband's doctor know that your husband gets angry? There may be some medication that can help even out his mood.

It must be awful, when you have Alzheimer's, to realize that your brain is letting you down -- I wonder if that's part of what makes Joe so frustrated? I think when the disease gets a little more advanced, that realization probably doesn't exist any more, and that may make it a little easier.

Some of the things I can think of that might help are making sure that Joe has as much structure in his life as you can give him, that he not be made to go to too many unfamiliar places, and that you're as soothing as possible when he gets frustrated (which I'm sure is easier said than done). Music can sometimes help calm an agitated Alzheimer's patient, as can activities like crossword puzzles.

Please, though, try getting in touch with the Alzheimer's Association. They can tell you about local resources that can help you, and give you advice for your situation.

I hope you'll keep posting here, no matter what. We'll always try to help you and give you moral support. You don't need to go through this alone.

Carol

He has alzheimers about 4 yrs now . He is now in meds. i did contact alzheimers on line. There is not a support group that is close.I am looking for a on line friend or soneone close to talk to.

davedsel57 replied to qmb60's response:
Hello.

I've been reading your posts. I understand fully what you are going through.

This WebMD Alzheimer's Community is a great place for support. You can post questions or just vent.

The Alzheimer's Association website has many on-line message boards as well. They have members who are dealing with the disease as patients themselves or have loved ones with AD. Those communities are very busy with many members and lots of discussions. I like this community on WebMD much better because it is slow paced and we can get to know each other.

I hope to see more posts from you.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

Carol,
I do thank you so much for your support. I will call that number. It is hard to call when hubby is around. I do my best
to keep him busy and keep him in places he does like.
I know that things have happened in out life that does upset him but life goes on.
We lost one of our dogs and that was so hard. I am going through probate with the loss of my dad that happened in last year but things with that. And we did move but he is good with that. We moved on my dads land and we have 5 acers here and that is good.
I have him a garage coming in so he can put his stuff in it like woodworking and tools. Joe, does have problems with know what to do with things as he used to do so well..
And a lot of time the weekend is hard.

qmb60 replied to qmb60's response:
I will do my best to call that number,

qmb60 replied to davedsel57's response:
I do thank you for your post . I will post as i can. I will get back on the Alzheimers website and have them help me out.

I know that things here are good and not so much at times we just take each day as it is. I have been learning how to do more things to take care of things.

My Joe and i have been married for 42 yrs in July . You know most of the time it has been good. I know that things are getting worse. He does get angry .

Judith L London, PhD replied to qmb60's response:
Hi qmb60,

It's great that you and Joe have had such a long and happy marriage up to now. The inability to say what you mean is the main reason for anger and frustration for those with Alzheimer's. Try looking at my book, "Connecting the Dots..." which is on my profile and easily avaiable on www.amazon.com . You can ask you local library to get it as well. Tell Joe that you can understand how angry he may feel and that you are in this together.

Change always happens yet you can still have touching experiences with your Joe.

There are also some telephone support groups. The important thing is that you care for yourself as well during this long journey.

Sending you strength and comfort,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.