Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
June Check-in
davedsel57 posted:
Happy June, everyone!

Today it is raining and in the mid-50's in WNY. Too damp for my bones to be happy.

My dad is doing pretty well. His Alzheimer's is advancing as expected. He gets confused easily and is making up more stories. Then he will be totally lucid for a few days. All part of the disease. He is still very happy in his assisted living facility.

Both his VA and assisted living facility's health care teams are doing an excellent job. I touch base frequently with all of them regarding the Alzheimer's, congestive heart failure, and all his other medical needs. He is getting great care.

I pray everyone has a blessed and joyful June!
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Happy June, all. It's just mind-boggling to think that we're in the sixth month of the year already.

Where I am in Florida, we've been having lots of thunderstorms and rain this week. I love it, and we really need the rain, but the poor dogs have been basket cases.

I'm so glad, Dave, that your father is still happy where he is and that he's getting such good care. Those are two big keys to making life happier for you, too.

I hope everyone else will check in and let us know how you're doing.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Dave,

I'm so happy to hear how well your Dad is doing. Your June photo and sentiments are so uplifting.

I've been in the midst of caregiving myself for a post-surgical hip transplant. When I think about how tired I am, I think about how every person who is a caregiver of someone with Alzheimer's is even more tired.

Keep up the good work,
Judy

2010guardian responded:
Hello, Dave and everyone in this support group.
Hubby seems to be a little more confused than in the past. however, considering all things, he's still holding his own. He has more complications with his diabetes. He's seeing double up close and nothing can be done about it. He is also having some difficulty with his kidneys. The doctor is following up with blood tests.

The beautiful weather down here in Okie is drawing him outside and he is staying fairly busy. We are constantly on the move during the week.

I'm glad everything is working so well with your Dad.

Kathy

cjh1203 replied to 2010guardian's response:
Hi Kathy-

I'm sorry your husband is showing more memory loss, along with his physical problems. Was his diabetes fairly well controlled before his Alzheimer's diagnosis? From what some other posters have said in the past couple of years, it sounds like Alzheimer's may have made diabetes worse for some of them. I hope that your husband's doctors can find a way to help keep it under control -- I know it's a big worry. I suppose that's related to the kidney problems, isn't it? Please let us know what you find out.

It's great that you're having the kind of weather that keeps your hubby busy outside. I hope it continues. It's so hot and humid here in Florida that I hate to leave the comfort of the A/C -- even the dogs won't stay outside for more than a few minutes!

Take care.

Carol

2010guardian replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Carol,

I havn't noticed that Alzheimers has made my husband's diabetes worse. He has learned to eat better and continues to watch his diet. It's too much for him if he is served desert for lunch (he eats it anyway) or we have sweet food at home. Most snacks are sugar free. Since he had to get off Glyberide and Metformin and take a different medicine, His blood sugar has been 155 plus. Diabetic director said because of his age, 75 next month, it's okay to be higher but keep under 75. This has been difficult, but now we don't have to worry about his blood sugar bottoming out. Still no results on kidney test. He has lost another pant size since he quit glyberide. He doesn't snack as much. I don't notice him holding extra fluid.

Today has been a good day for us. We went to an "Elders Olympics". We started about 10:30 playing games and quit at 1:00 pm. He was walking around and being active all that time except for 30 min. lunch.
For Father's Day I'll make him a cherry pie with splenda.

Thanks for your encouragement. I'll let you know the results of the test.

Kathy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.