Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
New Alzheimers Caregiver....
7MrsG7 posted:
Hello,

So after three years of taking mom to see a neurologist, knowing that something was not right, we received the formal diagnosis this week. Mom, 73, has been diagnosed with Alzheimers form of Dementia. I'm reading everything I can find and am open to any and all tips, tricks, information, and so forth. The doc started her on Aricept and mom lives with us. Would love to hear from you.

Thank you...

cjh1203 responded:
Hello, MrsG-

Welcome to the board. I'm terribly sorry about your mother's diagnosis. If you've known something was wrong for a while, though, it must be a bit of a relief to know what you're dealing with.

How advanced is your mother's Alzheimer's? Is the problem still mostly with her short-term memory, or has it also affected her behavior and personality?

If you look on the left and right sides of this page, you'll see quite a few links that could be helpful to you. If you have specific questions or concerns, though, please let us know.

If at all possible, the best thing you can do for yourself is to join an Alzheimer's support group in your area. You can find meeting information on the Alzheimer's Association site . Being able to talk with people who have been or are going through the same things you are can be an invaluable help in every way. Online support is very helpful, too, but there's nothing like having an in-person conversation with others who are in your shoes.

Dr. Judith London, who is the expert on this board (you'll probably hear from her), has written a book that you might find helpful, called Connect the Dots . I haven't read it yet but it's gotten excellent reviews.

I would say that the most important thing is for you to start getting your mom used to having other people help her, so you can get some breaks, even if it's only for a few hours a week at first. That time away will get to be more and more necessary as time goes on, to help keep you physically and emotionally strong.

We're glad you're here and hope you'll stay in touch. Sometimes, it's sort of quiet here, but someone will always respond to you within a day or two.

Take care.

Carol

davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

I'm sorry to read of your mom's diagnosis. My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's early last year. Because he was living alone (my mom passed away in 2000) I was advised to move him into an assisted living facility. After 2 tries we finally found a third that is perfect for him and he has been there about 3 months.

Getting my dad the care he needs has been very challenging but he is now settled. I did and do find the Alzheimer's Association site very helpful.

I pray for your family at this time of transition and you can get your mom the care she needs.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

7MrsG7 replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Carol,

Thanks so much for your reply and all the helpful tips and information. I have read many of the links on this page and the info has been helpful.

At this point in time, there are a few minor personalisty changes but it has mainly been short-term memory and "spacial" types of things like not being able to properly set the table or cook any more, and staying on task with little activities. My mom has always been very contained and quiet and kind and thankfully, that hasn't changed so far.

I will do my best to stay in touch and thank you again for your response.

7MrsG7 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hello Dave,

Thanks for your reply to my post. I too, am sorry to hear about your dad. Very glad to hear you found a good/suitable place for him to live. Prayers for you and your family as well.

Thank you.

Judith L London, PhD replied to 7MrsG7's response:
Hi 7MrsG7
It's great that you joined our community.

My book, Connecting the Dots, gives so much help in how to keep connecting with a loved one with Alzheimer's and has alot of information you may find helpful.

www.alz.org is filled with everything you need to know about this illness.

There are books and entries on the Alz. Assn site that are written by people going through the disease, and you and your Mom might be interested in them.Your Mom could use a support group, too.

Know that you are not alone as you face this challenge,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

"Outsmart Your Genes"--a MUST READ!
I read "Outsmart Your Genes" by Brandon Colby MD and it was such an empowering read. I have been looking for other publications by this ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.