Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
doesn't remember how much he's drinking
DaughterNumberOne posted:
Hi Everyone. My father has early to moderate Alz, lives alone but very near several siblings. We all help in his care.
This one has us stumped at the moment. Dad has always been a social drinker and it's never been a problem. One or two beers or glasses of wine and he's done.
Now that he has Alz, he forgets that he's already had a drink or two and pours another. My sibs and I of course have talked about this with him, and Dad cuts back for a period of time, but then soon forgets and is back to not realizing how many he's actually had.
Any tips or tricks that may help him keep track of his alcohol intake without crossing the delicate line of dignity and respectfulness?
We thought of having him write down (keep a log) but figure he'll forget to to do that. We also thought of him using "drink chips" like the kind you get when someone buys you a drink at a bar. But he may view that as treating him like a child. Thank you for your suggestions.

cjh1203 responded:
How lucky you and your family are that everyone is willing to pitch in and care for your dad. In so many families, care seems to fall to one person while everyone else just goes on with their lives.

Does someone go to his house every day? If so, maybe there's a way to just leave him enough for one or two drinks each day. Perhaps someone could ask him if he'd rather have beer or wine that night, and maybe you could just leave one or two bottles of beer in his fridge if that's what he wants, and hide the rest. For the wine, maybe someone could pour just one or two glasses worth into a carafe, rather than leaving him a whole bottle.

Or, maybe you and your siblings could set up a happy hour schedule with him in the evening, so he that he only drinks when one of you is there.

I can't think of any other ideas offhand, but maybe someone else can come up with something.

Carol

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

I've been thinking about this, and the only think I would add to Carol's excellent advice is to make sure someone visits your father daily. As Carol says, maybe somehow measure out the right portion and keep the rest where he can not find it.

I understand how difficult this is and pray you can find a good solution soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi DaughterNumberOne

Frankly, your Dad really should not be drinking alcohol at all. It negatively affects his sense of balance and further taxes his brain.

I think you should remove all alcohol from the house, and only have controlled cocktail hours, under supervision, where the alcohol in a mixed drink or spritzer gradually is reduced to zero
You can rightfully claim that it is a health issue, and if he is resistant, ask the physician for support.

Of course, no one should drink alcohol in his presence if the family goes along with a controlled 'cocktail' hour.

Hope you can work out something,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.