Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
July Check-In
davedsel57 posted:
Hello, everyone. Hard to believe it is already July.

Our weather in Western New York has been sunny with temps in the 80's near 90. Very little rain so we are almost in a drought. Quite the diverse weather across the country - wild fires, too much rain, huge storms, etc.

My dad is doing OK. He has been very agitated lately and unfortunately struck a fellow resident yesterday. The nurse on duty called me to inform me, and the director of the ALF is supposed to call me later today. His doctor has been made aware and it looks like an adjustment in his medications is in order. I pray he can stay where he is and be made comfortable again.

Have a blessed and jubilant July, friends.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Oddly enough, in this part of Florida, it seems to be cooler than in much of the rest of the country, even though we're in the low 90s. My heart goes out to all the people who are dealing with the extreme heat, and especially those without power from the storms a few days ago.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad, Dave. That sort of thing is such a concern, and I hope the doctor can make a simple adjustment that will help. It sounds like your dad has been pretty easy-going most of the time since his diagnosis, so this must have been quite a surprise for you.

I hope that some of the people we haven't heard from for a while will check in, and that everyone has a good July.

Carol

2010guardian responded:
Hi Dave
The weather here in NE Ok. has been over 100. It had been very dry with cracks in the ground, but today, all at once we had a thunder storm with heavy rain. I can't imagine how hot it would be without air conditioning.

My husband, Ken, has shown a little regression with the AD.
He is having trouble saying what he wants and his thinking is very slow. He is weak and has been sleeping during the day a lot. He doesn't have any trouble sleeping at night. ..... and then sometimes he'll act very normal and 'with it'. He has been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, upper end of stage 3.
he will need dialysis in stage 5. This is very scarry for me as I have watched my brother live and die with diabetes and CKD. He had such hard times. Ken will be 75 on the 24th. I hope to have a big party for him.

I wish everyone a better day and hope for tomorrow.

Kathy

Judith L London, PhD replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Dave,

Thanks again for all you do for us, too, and getting the July check-in rolling.

I wonder what preceded your Dad striking out to another resident. Often there is an external trigger to such behavior, and striking out was your Dad's reaction. Simply limiting his exposure to that resident may be enough, if that is at all possible.

Also, perhaps he needs some more supervision. If the incident occurred later in the day, he may have lost it because of sundowning. A snack or walk that time of day may be what ne needs.

When you are with him, ask him what he thinks in general of the guy he struck without reminding him that he hit him.

Hope he is stable again,

Judy

cjh1203 replied to 2010guardian's response:
Hi Kathy-

Your weather sounds just awful. We've spent several years in drought (although recently it has eased somewhat), and I know what a thrill it is when you finally get a really good rain. I hope you'll get more.

I'm really sorry that Ken seems to be having more Alzheimer's symptoms. Have his vitamin B and D levels been checked recently? Could he have a urinary tract infection? Is he on any new medications that could account for his symptoms?

It breaks my heart that you and Ken have to face his kidney disease, especially after watching your brother go through it.

I hope you won't take offense at this, but I just wanted to mention something about the possibility of a party for Ken's birthday. I don't know enough about his condition to know if it would be a problem, but for many people with Alzheimer's, having a lot of people around is really scary, even when they're friends and/or family. I'm not saying that's the case with Ken -- he may be fine. It's just something to consider if you think it might be overwhelming for him.

Have you talked to your doctor about all that's going on? Do you think you might benefit from an anti-depressant and/or some counseling? You're carrying a lot on your shoulders, and I know that Ken's diagnosis of kidney disease has really knocked the wind out of you.

Take care of yourself.

Carol

davedsel57 replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Hi, Judy.

All of my dad's health issues are frustrating him. He has not liked this man from day one for no apparent reason. I just spoke with my dad on the phone and he seems to be doing much better. His mood is happy, and his other health issues are being taken care of. It's a bit difficult, but I am trying to take him for an outing at least once per week. We will probably do something tomorrow. Over all, things are improved since last week.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Hi Dave-

How is your dad doing?

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.