Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Alzheimers possibole treatment?
Euphorics posted:
Ok I guess I'll just ask these questions before I post the kind of proposed treatment.
1. What drugs or what could be used to help do this? I read that these drugs already exist. I know this is not a legitimate treatment, but could it possible be? I'm so desperate I don't really care what it takes. Just want some thoughts of whether this could actually work?

ANyways thank you so much for just reading or if you could possibly help it would mean everything

The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis is a major system maintaining body homeostasis by regulating the neuroendocrine and sympathetic nervous systems as well modulating immune function. Recent work has shown that the complex dynamics of this system accommodate several stable steady states, one of which corresponds to the hypocortisol state observed in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). At present these dynamics are not formally considered in the development of treatment strategies. Here we use model-based predictive control (MPC) methodology to estimate robust treatment courses for displacing the HPA axis from an abnormal hypocortisol steady state back to a healthy cortisol level. This approach was applied to a recent model of HPA axis dynamics incorporating glucocorticoid receptor kinetics. A candidate treatment that displays robust properties in the face of significant biological variability and measurement uncertainty requires that cortisol be further suppressed for a short period until adrenocorticotropic hormone levels exceed 30% of baseline. Treatment may then be discontinued, and the HPA axis will naturally progress to a stable attractor defined by normal hormone levels. Suppression of biologically available cortisol may be achieved through the use of binding proteins such as CBG and certain metabolizing enzymes, thus offering possible avenues for deployment in a clinical setting. Treatment strategies can therefore be designed that maximally exploit system dynamics to provide a robust response to treatment and ensure a positive outcome over a wide range of conditions. Perhaps most importantly, a treatment course involving further reduction in cortisol, even transient, is quite counterintuitive and challenges the conventional strategy of supplementing cortisol levels, an approach based on steady-state reasoning.

This is the site from which it came from and more information on the treatment here:
http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1000273

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

WebMD has an excellent Alzheimer's Health Center here: http://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/default.htm
You will find answers to many of your questions by reading through that.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Hello, Euphorics-

I doubt that most of us here will be able to answer such a complex question; the members here are just people who have been affected by Alzheimer's in some way; most are or have been caregivers. I think that what you're asking is probably way beyond the knowledge of most of us. Dr. Judith London, the expert on this board, may be able to give you some information about this. She's not here all the time, but does check in regularly.

The link Dave gave you has a lot of really good information.

Also, here is a link to information about clinical trials that you may be interested in. You may even find a trial related to the article in your post.

I don't know if it's you or someone you care about who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but I know that it's devastating in either case. I hope you find the answers you're looking for, and that you'll let us know what you find out.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Euphorics,

The information you gave would best be interpreted by a neurologist siince cortisol hormones have many functions, including a reaction to stress. That's why reducing stress is also good for the brain, as well as the heart

Please read my reply regarding the benefits of coffee, which has been shown to dissolve the plaques in the brain that interrupt communication.

If you contact a memory center, you may find other suggestions. Of course, the Alzheimer's Assn has the latest on their web site or via phone: www.alz.org or 800-272-3900. They will have information about clinical trials in your area.

Hope you can find some answers,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.