Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
New to it all
nanabarbie5 posted:
Hi, This is my first "community" or blog to be a part of. My Husband was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I have been kind of frustrated trying to find a support group up here in Chico Ca.area.
If I interpret the "stages" properly he is at about stage 4-5, leaning it to stage 5. Now that we have sat with the truth for about 3 weeks we are settling into acceptance. God bless my husband, he has a wonderful sense of humor about it most of the time. Feeding him a healthy, well balanced diet is a challenge, his idea of vegetables are french fries and onion rings. I am able to get him to eat some green veggies if I grill them on the BBQ. I am very interested in starting him on Coconut Oil, I don't know what his primary physician will say about it because he does have high triglycerides to begin with.

cjh1203 responded:
Welcome to the board. I'm sorry that your husband's diagnosis brings you here, but glad that you found us.

Even though it's a devastating diagnosis, it must help quite a bit that your husband has a sense of humor about it.

I think that getting an Alzheimer's patient to eat a healthy diet is often a challenge, because they tend to lose their senses of smell and taste. A lot of people with Alzheimer's -- my late uncle included -- go overboard with sweets because sugar tends to be something they can still taste after other tastes have become dulled. Salt may be the same, so maybe more herbs and spices would make a difference.

There are some books about sneaky ways of getting vegetables into children's food -- maybe one of those would be helpful. This is the one that leaps to mind, because I remember hearing that Jerry Seinfeld's wife had written a book with sneaky recipes.

My husband and I don't always eat enough vegetables, and I find that spinach is a great way to add them to a a lot of different things -- I use spinach instead of lettuce on sandwiches, and tear up spinach, saute it and add it to pasta, rice, cheese grits, polenta, even scrambled eggs. It's hardly noticeable in those dishes. I also sometimes use mashed avocado (I know it's not a vegetable, but they have healthy fat) on sandwiches instead of mayonnaise. Would your husband eat vegetables with some sort of healthy dip, like hummus?

I don't know what affect coconut oil has on triglycerides, but maybe it's one of those things where the benefits outweigh the risks. I think we'd all be interested in what your doctor says.

Here are some general tips on Alzheimer's patients and eating.

You may know about the Alzheimer's office in Chico but, if not, here's the info:

Greater North Valley Office
2105 Forest Avenue, Suite 130
Chico, CA 95928
Link to Google Map
Phone: 530.895.9661

I tried to see if they had any support groups, but it was very difficult to try to find that info -- a phone call would probably be easier.

I hope you'll continue to post here. The board isn't always very active, but someone will usually respond to you within a day or so.

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi nanabarbie5,

I also want to extend a warm welcome to our community.

If your husband likes coffee, it is good for his brain, according to recent studies. Coffee has components that may dissolve some of the Alzheimer's plaques in his brain; when people had the equivalent of 3 cups of coffee a day, onset of Alzheimer's was delayed at least 2 years. Other studies on mice showed that the plaques dissolved for mice with mouse Alzheimer's with caffeine equivalent to 5 cups of coffee per day.

If he likes coffee, sweeten it with aguava syrup or stevia. Just make sure to complete the coffee regimen before 2pm or so - so he can sleep at night.

He may still be a candidate for Aricept or Namenda - check with his physician.

A senior center may also have a support group if there is none at the local Alzheimer's Assn.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Judy

nanabarbie5 replied to cjh1203's response:
Thanks for the Info, I have e-mailed the Chico contact person but I have not called as yet. We gave up real coffee years ago but he might enjoy some real coffee instead, its worth a try. I will try some of your Veggie ideas as well as look for the book with sneaky recipes.

Does anyone have ideas how I can sneak the 2-3 Tbs of coconut oil into his food without heating it to much. I tried it in my iced coffee this afternoon and I am presently eating it with a spoon. Not bad, but my Husband is already suffering from "Contempt prior to Investigation."

nanabarbie5 replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
I will talk to Tony about the coffee, He doesn't like hot stuff in the summer and he doesn't like iced coffee. He is on Aricept 20 mg/day and is starting the Namenda next week. His primary Dr had put him on Aricept 10 mg about a year ago, but she didn't give him any diagnosis except forgetfulness at that time. His progression in the last year is pretty scary.

cjh1203 replied to nanabarbie5's response:
If your husband likes milkshakes, yogurt, ice cream or cereal, maybe you could put the coconut oil in those. I've never tasted it, so don't know strong the taste is. Maybe someone more familiar with it could give you some suggestions.

I hope someone in the Chico office will get back to you and can point you to a support group.

Carol

cjh1203 replied to cjh1203's response:
I had another thought -- if your husband does like milkshakes (and I can't imagine anyone who doesn't!), maybe you could sneak some Ensure or Boost into them to give him some of the nutrients he may not be getting.

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.