Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Alzheimer's news
cjh1203 posted:
Researchers have found a gene mutation that seems to protect people from cognitive decline and Alzheimer's. It's a rare mutation, but may offer important information in finding a cure. Here's the article on the NPR site.

Also on NPR today, I heard a brief mention of music therapy for Alzheimer's patients, but I can't find the study they referred to, or an article on NPR's site. Researchers evaluated something like 30 separate studies done on music therapy for people with Alzheimer's, and found that it can have great benefit, possibly improving depression and agitation. Wish I could remember more of it, but I will keep searching for an article about it.

It's so heartening to see some positive news now and then.

Carol

2010guardian responded:
Carol, this is wonderful. I keep thinking about the future for my children and grandchildren. Someday, I believe it will happen!

I really believe the music therapy will do a lot of good.
While we are at lunch, music is played. Ken said he had some country music plus the original Platters and they asked him to bring the CD's in. So we went on a mad search and found these CD's. He said he wished he had a stereo like he used to have so he could play this music. He used to know all the words and when he hears the songs, he sings along. This is his long-term memory. He hasn't lost his singing voice. I think this is really important for him.

Kathy

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Carol,

Not only does music help with reducing agitation and improving well-being. but art and aromatherapy does as well.
I have these and other tips in my book, "Connecting the Dots..."

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.