Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
anyone heard of using this for alzheimers?
Anon_30608 posted:
just read about phosphetydle serine for improving memory and awareness....a natural supplement i found on HSN ....was wondering if anyone heard of using this and had any results....my mom uses xylon patch but cannot take aricept , namenda or any meds in that same family wich help the brain communicate better....she has tried alot more only to have horrible dizziness , vomiting , tired, headaches etc just bad results ....so she just uses xylon which is suppose to slow the disease but not cure it.....i was hoping this nutritional supplement has some merit....anyone?

cjh1203 responded:
I'm afraid I haven't heard of that, and didn't get any results when I googled it. Maybe it would be worth discussing with your pharmacist. He or she might also be able to tell you about other supplements that could possibly help.

There might be some people here who can give you more information.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Anon_30608,

I haven't heard anything about it so far. If your Mom has a xylon patch, whcih sounds like it may be comparable to an exelon patch, it should be as effective as aricept. From what I have heard, when people develop side effects from aricept, it usually indicates that digestive or liver enzymes may be over-taxed; the patch bypasses this and works effectively.

Make sure her vitamin B-12 levels are normal since low levels can exacerbate symtoms of Alzheimer's. Also,if she is depressed, that could also contribute.

Judy

healus88 replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
ok thanks

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.