Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Cocoa for better cognition
cjh1203 posted:
I receive the weekly People's Pharmacy newsletter, and thought some of you might be interested in this article from the one I got today. It talks about a study showing that cocoa that is high in flavanols can help improve cognition. Not all cocoas have the necessary levels of flavanols, though. I don't know if it would improve the cognition of someone who already has Alzheimer's, but it might be worth a try.

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Not only is cocoa good, but 3 cups of coffee a day are also good for the brain. Apple juice and apples, dark fruits and vegetables - there is alot we can do to keep ourselves sharp. Exercise still is the best of them all.

Judy

2010guardian replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Hi Judy,

This is good to know. Do you think it matters if the coffee has caffene? I drink decaf coffee and tea most of the time. I was just talking to my daughter about ways to prevent AD. I'm so concerned about my children.

Thanks for the information.

Kathy

Judith L London, PhD replied to 2010guardian's response:
Hi Kathy,

The studies were conducted with caffeinated coffee. I am also a decaf drinker but I am gradually mixing regular with decaf to ease the transition into my stomach and system. I stop regular coffee after lunch.

Earler studies with mice indicated that the caffeine equivalent to 5 cups of coffee per day was associated with a dramatic reduction in the plaques found in Alzheimer's. But that was in mice.

The bottom line is that you must do what's right for YOU.

New information is discovered every day so I try to keep on my toes and report what I discover.

Enjoy,
Judy

2010guardian replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Hi Judy,
I suspected it was the caffene. Caffene feeds tumors, so due to my breast cancer and the fact that my body likes to grow tumors, I cut back on it. I have been drinking 1 or 2 small cups of caffene coffee after lunch. Also the tea has caffene. It does give me a
pick up. I appreciate the information that you pass on to us. Thank You.

Kathy

cjh1203 replied to 2010guardian's response:
Hi Kathy.

Did you read about caffeine feeding tumors in an email supposedly written by someone from Johns Hopkins? I remember reading about that on the Urban Legends web site, and the email is a hoax. Johns Hopkins has a page on their web site refuting everything in the email.

They say that no food or drink is off limits, and that the most important thing is to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. I thought you might be interested in what they say, and maybe you can have more caffeine without worry!

Carol

2010guardian replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Carol,

I have seen an email about John Hopkins and plastic, etc., but I also read about it on snopes.com I have not seen one about caffeine. I check out everything on snopes.com So many things are not true. My doctors told me that years ago. Other cancer patients have said the same thing. I won't see my oncologist for another year, I hope, but I'll try to remember to ask him. If you find any proof either way, I'm interested. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy

cjh1203 replied to 2010guardian's response:
Hi Kathy. I think that so many people read the hoax email that a lot of them took it for gospel and started passing it off as truth themselves.

On the web page where the real Johns Hopkins refutes the claims of the hoax, it says that it's OK to drink tea and coffee. I assume that is in response to the statement in the email about caffeine feeding tumors, and took it to mean that caffeine isn't a problem, especially since they don't specify that you should drink only decaffeinated tea and coffee.

There's so much conflicting information, though, it's really hard to know what to believe. It's really frustrating. I guess the safest route is the old standby moderation in all things.

Carol

2010guardian replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Carol,

I appreciate your information. Just for clarification: I have never read anyplace that caffeine feeds tumors. As a post breast cancer patient, my doctor gave me that information. My friend who was 'in the same boat' was told the same thing from her doctor. True or not, I drink mostly decaf., but I like the 'real thing' also

Ken and I have recently gone to the county fair to watch our grandson(learning disabilities) show his Boer goat which he got a blue ribbon and $1,000. (this making a long story short.) It was his first time of raising a goat and showing it. It was an awesome weekend. Ken did a great job in walking.

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

"Outsmart Your Genes"--a MUST READ!
I read "Outsmart Your Genes" by Brandon Colby MD and it was such an empowering read. I have been looking for other publications by this ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.