Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
To wildstick1 (Diana)
davedsel57 posted:
I am posting my reply to your post in the September Check-In Thread here to be sure you see it. When a discussion is pinned you do not see the last replies.

Hello, Diana.

I am not Judy, but I think you would benefit by checking out the WebMD Alzheimer's Health Center here: http://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/default.htm
This will give you much if not all of the information you are looking for.

I can just quickly say that Alzheimer's is just one form of Dementia. Also, I do not believe it is at all contagious. It affects each patient uniquely - some develop symptoms quickly while in others it happens more slowly.

You may also benefit by going to the website for the Alzheimer's Association here: http://www.alz.org
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

wildstick1 responded:
Thank you Davedsel57 and I will look at the website. I am trying to do a report on Dementia, and all I can find mostly is Alzheimer for most people think that alzheimer is the only thing that comes to mind. Thank you again.

cjh1203 replied to wildstick1's response:
Hi Diana-

I've been able to find a lot of information about other forms of dementia online, so I'm sure you'll find something useful if you keep looking. Alzheimer's is the most well-known, so a lot of people don't realize that it is just one form of dementia.

Here's a brief article from the Cleveland Clinic site that you might find helpful.

Dementia isn't contagious, but a study did find that people who care for a spouse with Alzheimer's (not sure if this applies to other dementias) are more likely to develop Alzheimer's themselves.

If someone shows signs of dementia developing in a very short time, like a matter of weeks, he or she should be checked for physical causes first because dementia normally develops more slowly over time. Some things that may cause dementia-like symptoms are urinary tract infections, low levels of some vitamins, certain medications or combinations of medications, and dehydration, among others.

Good luck on your report.

Carol

wildstick1 replied to cjh1203's response:
Thank you carol I will look into them, I have been looking on the internet but most of the ones I have found are always intertwind with Alzheimer and at time it get very discuraging that people would only think of Alzheimer as the leading authoraty on dementia..... Thank you again Carol and I will look into the cleveland clinic.
Diana

Judith L London, PhD replied to wildstick1's response:
Hi,

People are often confused about Alzheimer's and dementia.

Just wanted to clarify - Dementia may be thought of a cluster of symptoms that can be described as One Plus One - memory loss, plus one or more of the following : inability to function in basic self-care, job, etc - a problem with recognizing familiar objects and their use, speech problems and relating to others clearly. Alzheimer's accounts for 70% of all dementia symptoms, with vascular dementia accounting for 20% and other types such as Lewy body or frontotemporal plus others accounting for the remainder.

Alzheimer's begins gradually, over a number of years, and can last for up to 20years. It is progressive and irrreversible at the present time, with no clear-cut cause. except when it begins before the age of 60 where a genetic component operates.

The Alzheimer's Association has detailed information on all types of dementia.

Hope this helps out,
Judy

wildstick1 replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Thank you sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I will look up and read the alzheimers information. Thank you again Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.