Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
October Check-In
davedsel57 posted:
Hello everyone.

Autumn is well underway up here in Western New York. The trees are beautiful.

My dad continues to thrive in his assisted living facility. His legs are still swollen due to the congestive heart failure, and his doctors are working to get this under control.

My father-in-law turned 89 years old on Sunday 9/30. He also has Alzheimer's and is further along than my dad. There are some struggles there and he was just hospitalized for about 10 days for a minor stroke. Fortunately, now a nurse, physical therapist and health care aid come to the house several times per week which takes some of the burden off my 87 year old mother-in-law. In general, they are dong OK.

I hope you all have a great and blessed October.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

cjh1203 responded:
I envy you the changing leaves, Dave! Florida doesn't have much of a Fall, as you can imagine. It's still in the high 80s and very humid.

It's great to hear that your dad is doing so well. I hope the swelling isn't causing him too much discomfort and that his doctors can get it controlled soon.

I'm not sure I knew that your father-in-law also has Alzheimer's -- how sad to be dealing with that in both your and your wife's family. I'm glad your mother-in-law has some good help.

I'm recovering from hip replacement surgery 2-1/2 weeks ago. Sunday was my first day out of the house -- I had brunch outside by the river with my mother, sister and aunt. While we were there, a man at the table next to us asked his wife, "Have we ordered yet?" and it reminded us of all the times my uncle had said the same thing when he was alive and going to brunch with us. I imagine that most Alzheimer's families here that pretty often when they go out to eat.

I look forward to hearing how everyone is doing.

My very best wishes to all of you.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Dave and Carol and Everyone Out There,

Glad to see the October news. Dave - your wonderful attitude is contagious. What an example for all of us to follow.

Carol - someone close to me had hip replacement surgery a couple of months ago and is doing terrific - walking withoput pain and with ease. I am so glad you are doing well.

We had a warm spell and went to the beach yesterday. What a treat.

It reminds me how we all have to do something good for ourselves despite the burdens of care.

Hope you do something nice for yourself today,
Judy

2010guardian replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Hello Everyone,
October is cooling things off very quickly here in NE Ok.
From the 70's, 60's, and tonight dipping in the hi 40's.
I'm looking forward to a hard frost, hoping to end this allergy season.

Ken has been functioning very well. He is now on insulin for his diabetes. Somehow, taking this step, he is more aware of his diet and exercise.

Yesterday we went to a health fair sponsored by the Indian Health Clinic. Many information booths were set up. One of the directors of a elders nutrition site was telling me about some books she had in her office on Alzheimers that I could borrow. Then she said there was a booth there. Before I could get to the booth, she had gathered me some literature and 2 books: The Alz. activity Guide and Through the seasons, an activity book. Later when I went to the booth, I showed the woman my Medic Alert bracelet. Even though she had the literature to hand out, she seemed unaware of what it was saying. While standing there talking to her, a couple I know came by and the man has had AD for 10 years. I showed them my bracelet and gave them the material to get more information. The wife was so interested. I did this twice. I noticed that people would glance toward the table and walk on by, just as these people started to do. Now I've got the information to share with a couple at church. I can't say enough good about the Medic Alert Safe Return braclets. I am much more confident when I'm wearing mine.

Last week a van decided to pull over into my space and the driver woke up just before hitting me in the passenger door on the drivers side. If I had been hit, I would have been thrown over into a tree. Again I thought of my bracelet and the fact that these people could alert my children.

We keep right on going with confidence--one day at a time.
May God Bless You All and keep you strong.

Kathy

2010guardian replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi Carol,

I'm so glad you are recovering well from your surgery. I can't imagine what you have been through.

Your help and your words of wisdom mean so much and you are very much appreciated.

Kathy

cjh1203 replied to 2010guardian's response:
Hi Kathy-

Thank you for your kind words -- I really appreciate it.

Of all the joint surgeries -- shoulder, knee and hip -- hip is supposed to be the easiest to recover from, so I'm grateful for that. It's not fun, but there's a noticeable improvement every day. I had my other hip done three years ago, so I knew what to expect this time. This time, though, because it's my right hip, I can't drive for six weeks, and I'll be so glad when that time is up!

It's good to hear that Ken is doing well, and that his diabetes seems to be under better control.

Wow -- your close call sounds really scary! I'm glad that it turned out to be only a close call.

You're doing a nice thing by letting other people know about the Medic Alert bracelet, since it's brought you so much comfort. I'm sure that others will be happy to feel that added security, too.

It's good to hear from you, especially since your news seems positive. Take care.

Carol

cjh1203 responded:
Hi, Dave. It sounds like Hurricane Sandy is going to be a terrible storm, but I hope it won't cause too much trouble where you are. Be sure to let us know how you fare.

Carol

davedsel57 replied to cjh1203's response:
Hi, Carol.

Just saw this. Life has been very busy for my family lately. My dad is doing great. Other things are going on that need my attention. Have not been on line as much as usual.

We got wind and rain in our immediate area from the edge of Sandy. All schools were closed as a precaution. In the south west part of NY it was worse with some flooding and downed trees. My prayers go to the people on the east coast who were devastated.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.