Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
New Brain Cells
2010guardian posted:
Hi Judy,
Last evening I was reading about activity that one can do to help prevent alzheimers. The article stated that we get new brain cells every day. Now that I want to comment on it, I can't find it.

I'm wondering if the exercise, reading, learning, etc. applies to just prevention of alzheimers, or can a person with alzheimers grow and develop new brain cells and get better, brain wise, by doing these activities?
Ken, with his troubled eye sight, tremors, and moderate alzheimers, and diabetes, has really struggled and fussed about not being able to see and read. He has wanted the book "No Easy Day", by Mark Owen, since Mark was on TV talking about the mission that killed Osama Bin Laden. I got the book for him at the library. He immediately started trying to read it--propping pillows etc so he wouldn't have to hold the book. Finally he is sitting at the table, propping the pillow and reading the book. He sometimes has to read a paragraph 3 times before he gets it, but he is so interested in it, and talks about it later.

So, Is he growing and developing new brain cells because of this reading? Will they be replacing the brain cells that died?
Or would they be in a different area of the brain.

He is doing so well with his exercising that he doesn't use his cane anymore.

Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Kathy

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Kathy,

Yes, learning anything new keeps the new brain cells going. Physical exercise increases brain volume, and is the best thing anyone can do, and learning new things helps even with Alzheimer's. The new cells are developing in the area of the brain where cells are being destroyed so it's harder for them to remain but new cells are born every day. They need to be stimulated to remain for any length of time.
I speak about this in my talks , "How to Keep the Brain in Tip-Top Shape."

Bravo that his motivation regarding the book is making his brain work. Is there an audio copy of it as well?

Keep having him exercise as much as possible.

It's exciting to see progress,
Judy

2010guardian replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Thank you, Judy, I will let him know all of this good news. I'm encouraging him to read other books. We just watched the movie of this book on National Geographic. It is dynamic. This is such a new book, It has just reached the library. I haven't heard of an audio copy.

I've really been dragging lately, but I take him to exercise and I do get on the bike. That isn't too exhausting. He keeps asking me if we're going during the day if we have come home from lunch to rest first.

Do you have your talk, "How to Keep the Brain in Tip-Top Shape" in a hard copy?

Kathy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.