Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Shakiness
NAMcC posted:
I've noticed a recent and sudden onset of shakiness in my father who is in stage 2 AD. It's noticeable when he lifts a drinking glass to his mouth. The only change in medication was the addition of celexa. Is this common?

cjh1203 responded:
Hello NAMcC.

I don't think that shakiness is a common symptom of Alzheimer's. I looked up possible side effects of Celexa, and a common one is "involuntary quivering".

Here is an article on tremors that might be useful.

Maybe his doctor could try an alternative to Celexa and see if that helps. In any case, it sounds like it would be a good idea to talk to his doctor about this new symptom.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi NAMcC,

Hope by now you have had his medication reviewed. Like all medications, you have to look at the cost-benefit analysis to decide whether it is worth taking it. Your doctor should be able to do this with you.

You are a good observer to pick up this change in him, and follow through.

Keep up the good work,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

"Outsmart Your Genes"--a MUST READ!
I read "Outsmart Your Genes" by Brandon Colby MD and it was such an empowering read. I have been looking for other publications by this ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.