Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
care giver for some one that has alzheimer's
peacefulone57 posted:
What do you do when your love needs care round the clock but you need time for yourself and you feel guilty for doing so.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

Your other post talks about your mother coming home. Where is she now?

If your mother is in late stage then see if you can get either palliative care or hospice care for your mom. Look them up on the internet and find someone local that can help.

A good source for support would be the Alzheimer's Association at http://www.alz.org/
You can find a local chapter. They also have a hotline you can call.

Don't feel guilty. Dealing with a loved one with Dementia is extremely difficult.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings, Dave

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi peaceful one,

It is important for you to have some help. If finances are an issue, local religious and community organizations often provide volunteers who visit while you get out. Also, support group members have lots of resources to share.

Studies show that caregivers who get some help fare much better than those who don't - so think of that and let go of the guilt. When you get help, you actually are doing your loved one a favor by staying mentally and physically healthy.

You've been doing an incredibly difficult job - so take a break,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.