Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety and Interrupted Sleep
2010guardian posted:
Isn't anxiety and sleepless nights a side effect of Alzheimer's?
As much as I read about AD, I felt that my husbands problem was due to AD, so I took him to the MD who was taking care of the AD. My daughter came down on me hard, saying that I should have taken him to the clinic to the primary physician and let them tell me if it was AD. Now this clinic doctor does not treat AD and he told us we'd have to get help elsewhere. So I believe I did what was right.

I just need verification that the symptoms as stated in the first sentence is in deed the effects of Alzheimer's?

Thanks for advice,

Kathy

cjh1203 responded:
Hi Kathy.

Anxiety and sleeplessness are very common symptoms in Alzheimer's, but there may be other things that could cause those things, too -- perhaps some medications.

I don't see anything wrong at all with taking him to the doctor who treats him for Alzheimer's, especially since those symptoms are so common. Your husband absolutely should have been seen by the doctor who treats his Alzheimer's Disease. If you had taken him to another doctor, an important part of the disease might have been overlooked, or he might have been treated inappropriately for someone in his condition.

A doctor who treats people with Alzheimer's can look at a patient with your husband's symptoms and determine whether or not it's related to the Alzheimer's. A doctor unfamiliar with Alzheimer's is almost certainly going to look for another cause for the symptoms and perhaps treat them incorrectly.

I agree with you 100%.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Kathy,

It's great that you followed up so quickly with your husband. Perhaps his medications needed a review. Often, people with Alzheimer's begin to reverse night and day as their circadian or day/night rhythms are disturbed, and they might start sleeping during the day and staying up at night. Sometimes, changing the times of administering medication may help, if your doctor suggests it.

You are wise to have one doctor be in charge of your husband's health and his prescriptions so that drug interactions can be prevented.

Keep up the good work,
Judy

2010guardian replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Thanks for the reassurance, Judy,

When something new pops up, it really 'rattles' me. Ken does so well and then out of the blue, something different shows up and I'm continually applying information that I have learned from all of you. You are much appreciated. Watch my next post, Alzheimers vs Lewy Body dementia.

Kathy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.