Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Worried about husband
An_250594 posted:
My husband (62) is having symptoms that have me very worried. Difficulty communicating, finding words. He moves stiffly and shuffles his feet. He says things that don't make any sense and his behavior and communication is sometimes inappropriate and unlike him. He doesn't seem to have any self-awareness of the things I and others are seeing. This has been going on for awhile now but getting markedly more pronounced. He has had a long history of medical issues including AFib, back injuries, and pain-killer addication (which he has been in a suboxin program for about 5 years). He has agreed to my going to his general physican with him to share my concerns and see if a battery of test can be performed to see what is going on. I am worried about dementia or alzheimers. Does anyone have any advice?

cjh1203 responded:
I'm so sorry about your husband's condition -- it must be scary for both of you, especially because he is so young.

The symptoms don't really sound that much like Alzheimer's to me, but I'm not a medical professional.

One possibility might be Parkinson's Disease .

From the reading I've done, his symptoms sound more like frontotemporal dementia or Lewy Body dementia, but there are other possibilities, too. Here's a very brief overview of some forms of dementia.

Normal pressure hydrocephalus
may also be the cause of his symptoms.

Dr. London, the medical expert on this board, often suggests that a urinary tract infection can sometimes cause symptoms of dementia.

Side effects of medications are another thing to consider; you might take all of your husband's meds to a pharmacist and see if he/she thinks that any of them could be causing a problem.

I hope this will turn out to be something that can be effectively treated. Please let us know what you find out.

Best wishes,
Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi,

It's so nerve wracking to see someone you love go through these kind of changes.

Hope that your physician has shed some light on your husband's condition. Did anyone do a CT scan to rule out vascular incidents? A proper diagnosis is essential for appropriate treatment.

Hope you are getting some answers,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.