Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    My husband's family stole him from me, wants conservatorship, wants me divorced from him
    SadArmyWife posted:
    HELP! Though I have just read a lot from the law library, RE abduction, which is a crime, especially when they take a dependent adult out of state with intent to not return, they do not care about the law. Nor my rights as a spouse in California community property state. They acted odd from the beginning, instead of communicating with me the way any normal person would, they interogated me, gathering information. They were abusive in their remarks and attitudes. I am not a criminal have no criminal background, though my husband's daughter has a spouse (who was, at the time we were engaged, just dating/living with her, who was a convicted felon, and his other 2 kids don't seem to mind! They are cold and mean to my husband, always treating him like an laughing-stock and never giving warmth. Moreover I am not only offended at their outright accusations that I only wanted him for "his money" when we were so poor we needed food at the food banks and homeless dinners--when I pointed that out, and that I'd carried all those cans and heavy bags of food, the scummy ex-con snarled "You were homeless trash before, this is all a palace to you." This sentiment is shared by all. No, they do not have any right to say nor feel so. I always took care of him while none of them ever did anything, leaving him to starve, not helping with rent money. They scapegoated me for everything--now they took him out of state to Nevada, though this is against the law--I am his legal spouse I have first rights. I believe they intend to keep him there to establish residency then have conservatorship and then force him to request divorce while he is not in his right mind. I've been reading more about this in the past two weeks and realized that the reason they put the younger daughter's name on a joint bank account with him was preliminary to conservatorship--but they deceived him, he had no idea, when i asked him why she was on there, he gave as reason "so we could send each other presents of money." BS! But he believed it. This winter when California hit record low temperatures, she took him out of the VA hospital, got him to sign paper at bank tying up the bank account so he could not get money without her signature then took our car--leaving us to die in the cold no money for a room nor food nor anything. If the aromory had not opened, her extortion might have worked--though I would have begged my relatives to please send us tickets to stay with them until his next month's money came through before accepting her terms which likely included giving me a few bucks to go away. She is psychotic and needs to be jailed. My husband thought so too, but then 2 weeks ago he went to his older daughter's house to get our car back. I warned him they would kidnap him and they did. Police were almost useless they seem to be on THEIR side becaise we were homeless--though staying in a motel long term, so we had a home--and they have a surface appearance of respectability. I love my husband and stuck with him through the two years of our homelessness--not impressing the filthy inlaws because they call my homeless trash and "crazy" and "mentally unbalanced"--which is actually slander and malice. But will the courts and any appointed psychiatrist ever respect me? Or are they all shallow like the VA Psych. who went against our express wishes and contacted his family, even after I told them they were abusive?

    Take the Poll

    Are Psychiatrists shallow, using mostly surface appearance to GUESS at mental health or illness? Even not taking into consideration one's economic state ( homeless people don't have opportunity to get many new clothes) shouldn't they expand their consideration?
    • Yes
    • No
    • Psychiatry hasn't evolved as well as Physical medicine
    • They are all jerks
    • Some of them are Jerks
    View Poll Results
    cjh1203 responded:
    I'm really sorry about all that's happened to you and your husband.

    This is an Alzheimer's community, though, and it doesn't sound like your situation has anything to do with Alzheimer's.

    I'm sorry I can't offer any help, but I do hope you find someone who can.

    cjh1203 responded:
    Hello again. I just re-read your post -- I had missed the part about your husband not being in his right mind. Does he have Alzheimer's?

    In any case, this is all more than I or anyone here can help you with, I'm afraid. Have you tried Legal Aid? It sounds like you really need an attorney to help you.

    If your husband does have Alzheimer's or other dementia, you might also try contacting your local Alzheimer's Association and see if they have some resources that might help you.

    Best of luck. Let us know how you're doing.


    Helpful Tips

    Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
    Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    15 of 25 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.