Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Does he or dosen't he?
Enlightned147 posted:
My spouse of 43 yrs has me somewhat concerned if he has beginning stages of Alzheimer's.First he is only 64 yrs old,generally very healthy,but his Grandfather,and Mother had Alzheimer's disease.I know him like the back of my hand after this many yrs of marriage.I know our memory changes somewhat with age but this is driving me crazy.I first noticed having to remind him about hygiene care,now it's things like where are his keys,where is his checkbook,did he lock the door,did he put the garage door down before leaving,did he turn off the stove???Are these signs of Alzheimer's disease?I have talked with him about my concern and he will not see the Dr.he says,"There isn't a problem"!Help me please,that I may help him in some way.

Enlightned147 responded:
I posted a note a few moments ago called,"Does he or doesn't he"?I read the 7 warning signs of Alzheimer's Disease.My husband has 5 of the 7 warning signs.So now I guess I need to decide how I am going to get him to the Dr.since he refuses to go in.Any ideas?Another few symptoms I read are,Yes he does repeat a lot of the same questions over again and again.I remind him that I already spoke with him about the question he has asked,but he doesn't seem to alarmed about it.One more symptom I noted is he also repeats the same stories word for word many times.I am his spouse and have noticed the changes before anyone else in the family.Guess I will have my work cut out for me.I am sick myself with an inoperable brain tumor,but my memory hasnt been affected! If anyone was wondering I don't believe it's stress related for him because the symptoms have been coming on gradually,and I have been dealing with my brain tumors off and on now for years.

cjh1203 responded:
Hello Enlightened,

I'm so sorry for the changes you're seeing in your husband and for your own serious health problem. What a sad situation. Do you have anyone who can give you help and support?

I'm not a medical professional, but it does sound like your husband's symptoms may be Alzheimer's (or perhaps another form of dementia).

A lot of times, trying to reason with people who have Alzheimer's just makes them dig in their heels even more. My uncle had Alzheimer's, and what worked much better than trying to talk him into something was just saying, "we're going to do this." Perhaps you could just tell him that his doctor called and said it's time to go in for a checkup, and his appointment is on such and such a date.

It would probably be a good thing for you to talk to someone at your local Alzheimer's Association, too. The problem of not being able to get someone with suspected Alzheimer's to the doctor is a pretty common one, and they may have suggestions for you that can help. If it does turn out that he has Alzheimer's, an Alzheimer's Association support group can be invaluable in every way. Especially given your brain tumor, the more support and resources available, the better for your own health.

I hope you will let us know what you find out and how you both are doing.

Best wishes,
Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Enlightened,

Carol has given you some sound suggestions. One way to get him to the doctor is to not tell him until right before you go, and then say that you are both going because you are sick with worry and need to be reassured that all is well.

Hope something works,

Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.